Do I really need an expensive dive computer??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brette

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When I was certified in 1990 many divers then didn't have computers and we used tables.

Last year after taking over a decade off from diving, I took up the sport again. So, I must admit it had been a long time out of the water. I have noticed that everybody has all kinds of expensive computers that seem to to the same thing. Bluetooth air gauge? Does anybody not trust electronics underwater?

When I recently started diving pretty regularly, I bought a full kit including a computer. I bought an Aqualung i300. It seemed to replace the tables very nicely and gave me what I needed to dive safely as a purely rec diver. I also passed on the bluetooth air reading and went with a standard gauge.

What I don't seem to understand is why all the need for $1500 computer with bluetooth integration as a rec diver. I see all these divers, some very experienced, wearing all these expensive dive computers with even backup $700 computers. Is this all really necessary? I paid $250 and so far am happy with my computer.

I want a reliable computer with user friendly menus and buttons. I want to be able to change the battery without sending it to the manufacturer and I want answers to my emails or phone calls if I have a problem.

Computers don’t have to be expensive to do the job.

Some of us like the latest cellphone with all the bells and whistles, others are happy with a landland rotary phone. We both are calling grandma.

If you don't need or value a feature, there's no need to feel pressured into the most expensive equipment. If you like it, buy it.

Perhaps borrow one and see if there's something it does you feel you'd like to pay money for?

Happy,
Cameron

When I was certified in 1990 many divers then didn't have computers and we used tables.

Looks like the first line of your post answered your own question. No, you don't need a computer and most divers could get along just fine with tables and it probably wouldn't even change the amount of time they are able to dive. You certainly don't need one that costs more than $1000. They all pretty much do the same thing.

What people want and what they need are usually very different. I used tables for many years with no problem. I could use them again. But...
I am a data nerd. I love to look at the graph and the exact starting and ending pressure and the exact starting and ending time. I also add GPS coordinates for dive sites. I type up long narratives about dives in Subsurface after I download my computer. I don't need my Shearwater Perdix AI to dive and I could do the same dives without it but is does greatly increase the pleasure I get from diving. Isn't that what it's all about? This is recreation, we don't need any of it. We do it because we enjoy it and electronic toys add to the enjoyment for some people.

It's all about personal preference. My computer neither adds nor takes away from my diving experience.

Some of us go to the more expensive computers for larger, color displays that show up better underwater, especially in low viz.

Just personal preference.

For normal rec diving you don't need to spend over $1000 dollars. You need to look at your diving. I almost never am diving a square profile so computer gives me more time. Personally all I ask is
-reasonable not overly conservative algorithm
-abilty to keep my nitrox settings from day to day
-easy to download data
-If I get on the wrong side of NDL by a small amount, and am a good boy coming up, it will guide me out of "baby deco" and not lock me out if I am clear by the time I get on the boat. Stuff happens.
-be readable
-have a sane menu system

Many computers will do this. I have 2 and they total at least one dive trip below $1000.

You don't 'need' one. I have used a simple "puck" in a console with an analog Spg for 10+ years. Just bought an air integrated computer jury's still out on it.

You don't 'need' one. it.

You don't "need" fins, you can just kick harder and go a lot slower. You don't "need" a mask, you can just see blurry. You don't "need" a wetsuit in chilly water, you can just be cold. You don't "need" a tank on your back you can just take a deep breath and enjoy a much shorter dive. Etc Etc.

In fact some Dive Ops require a computer when doing deep wreck dives, including most Florida Keys Dive Ops.

But I guess you don't "need" to dive deep wrecks either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom