Do I need new fins for my new drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpotkin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am waiting for my new drysuit to show up next week. I currently have Apollo split fins.
Do I really need to change to Scubapro jet fins ( or equal)?

No. You may need to change fins, if you find that the dry suit boots don't fit in your existing ones (a very real possibility), but otherwise, there is no need to change your fins if you like them.

Dry suit divers tend to like heavy fins because it helps them avoid floaty feet (and still put some air in the feet to keep them warm), and people diving heavy gear tend to like paddle fins because they push better. But if your fins work for you, the only reason to change them is if they don't fit the new suit.

...and that would probably be the case if you opted for the soft sock and rock boots version

[-]Better wait for actual drysuit users to comment. [/-]From what I've heard and seen it's not necessary. (I'm not a drysuit diver however)

As long as the fins fit you can use them. If you get Rock boots or bootie attachments to your drysuit then you may need to upgrade to a fin with a larger foot pocket, either a new fin or 1-2 sizes up from your current fins.

If your feet are too floaty then the heavy Jet fins may help, but ankle weights will do just the same. One problem with Jet fins is that their foot pocket isn't the easiest to fit into with certain sized feet/booties.

Edit: I guess I'll have to retract my first sentence.

I use split fins myself while diving dry, no problem.
When I took my ow course I was made aware that IF I intended to dive dry I would have to get bigger fins than I would normally need for wetsuits, so I got some XXL ones. Works like a charm both wet and dry..

Personally...I would get the drysuit modified with soft socks and rock boots or use gaiters to minimize amount of air going to the calf/foot area before using ankle weights.
I use a Fusion drysuit with Rockboots and I never looked back since day one. However, my GF elected to buy a compressed neoprene drysuit with integrated boots because she thought it would be warmer (for her feet). Even though proper measurement was taken by the BARE rep and her suit cut properly, the boots had a tendency to slowly come off her feet with the fins still attached. In fact, at times she could only use her toes to develop any kind of propulsion (very slow at best). She even used hockey tapes around her ankles to secure the dry in place and used ankle weights. Resistance was futile...she eventually (less than two or three months after acquiring it) got her suit modified, purchased rock boots, acquired new fins (as her original ones did not fit anymore) and have had no regrets since.

I use the same style of fins for both my wetsuit and drysuit diving, however do need larger fins when diving in my drysuit, whichever style of boot I use. I have used both integrated and the sock/rock boot combo... the former is warmer on your feet but the latter is much more lightweight.

As for the floaty feet issue... when I first started I used ankle weights and lived in fear of being inverted, until I realised that so long as you are neutrally buoyant you are not going to shoot to the surface if you go head down at any point. I also found that without the ankle weights, my dry suit put me naturally into a perfectly horizontal position.. and find myself feeling quite bottom heavy when I first swap back into my wetsuit come summertime.

Do make sure you get some good practice in with your drysuit however before heading out... a good pool session at the very least to practice getting out of an uncontrolled upside down ascent (great fun somersaulting in the deep end, and it is much easier than you would think), get used to the buoyancy aspects of using the drysuit, as well as making sure that even with gloves on, you can still disconnect your inflator hose should it get stuck on inflate.

Enjoy :D

If you are interested in learning to dive like in the video below you will need to change fins to a paddle fin. IE: Jet's, Hollis, Turtles, etc. I know a couple local divers that dive with splits, but most use paddle fins for mobility.

I am waiting for my new drysuit to show up next week. I currently have Apollo split fins.
Do I really need to change to Scubapro jet fins ( or equal)?

No, there is no such thing as a drysuit fin. If your open heel fins fit the drysuit footwear then you're good to go. Remember to allow for the socks you will wear under the suit for warmth. Unless you already have a chunky wet boot that the fins were selected to fit there is a very good chance you will get to buy new fins.

Pete

There are fins that work better with drysuits than other models, but it all depends on the diving you plan to do. I prefer heavier paddle fins when I dive drysuit. Ankle weights are not something I fancy. Try the fins you have, rent the scubapro or whatever jetfin-turtlefin model available at your LDC and see what you think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom