Do I need new fins for my new drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont have heavy jets or ankle weights.. Dont see why I need gear to fix something that should be a skill in the first place..

The people on SB often give gear advice without knowing anything about the gear being used. Apollo biofins are made of rubber and heavy. I dive them just as many divers use paddle fins (modified Frog kick etc). As they are one of the fastest fins and have been for years, they have good traction. They are my favorite fins even though ever other pair I own is paddle. You do not need different fins but you may need bigger fins. Unless you have very large feet. Biofins are available up to X-Large.

Unfortunately for you my experience is that unless your wetsuit fins are a little big you will likely need new fins. It may also depend on the configuration of you drysuit boots. If you have soft booties with a normal over boot you maybe ok. If you have rock boots or something similar likely plan on new fins. The best thing to do is wait. These types of question can not be answered unless we know exactly the sizes in play and exactly which brand/model you have and even then its an educated guess.

You provided very little to go on like what size are your current fins, what type of setup and Shoe SIZE is the drysuit, etc.

Thanks everybody for the info. I understand that my current bio fins sizing may be too small for my soon to arrive drysuit set up. My real meat and potato question
is concerning split fins verses heavy paddle fins for drysuit diving in general. My local scuba store seems to think with the upgrade of diving with a drysuit, I should
be using the frog kick and diving more of the GUE style of diving. Do I really need the power of a paddle fin with the increased drag of a drysuit? By the way my new
drysuit is the Bare trilam Tec.

Thanks everybody for the info. I understand that my current bio fins sizing may be too small for my soon to arrive drysuit set up. My real meat and potato question
is concerning split fins verses heavy paddle fins for drysuit diving in general. My local scuba store seems to think with the upgrade of diving with a drysuit, I should
be using the frog kick and diving more of the GUE style of diving. Do I really need the power of a paddle fin with the increased drag of a drysuit? By the way my new
drysuit is the Bare trilam Tec.

Not every drysuit diver frog kicks. And I can say I have one example of a diver who doesn't frog kick and does just fine in a drysuit.
This kinda question is extremely subject to opinion and not everyone really analyzes themselves in this way during a dive, unless they're specifically asked to. It would be best to get your drysuit first and see how it turns out before buying new pieces of gear.
In the mean time you can always try frog kicking with your Apollo fins.

buy a forcefin hockey, extra force, or excellerating in XL with comfort instep (~10-11 shoe). Then you will have the best fin and can wear it with booties or dryboot.

If you have a drysuit you will likely sidemount or backmount doubles, or need to frog... that day will come. I can maneuver great in jets, but try kicking those for a few hours underwater.. not me

Need no, but you'll want them. I use split fins and had to get Hollis F1's cause the excess drag.

If you are wearing any type of Rock Boot; you should check out Aqualung Rocket II. Unlike most fins, they were designed for military ops where boots are normally worn. IMHO,the problem with fins is the design of the foot pocket.

Rocket and Rocket II

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom