Do I need multiple dive computers or HP hoses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, however you rarely see EAN40 outside of scientific diving. If you are concerned, you can get a personal in-line filter and use that while filling your tanks that will make the air going in oxy compatible, but no need for O2 cleaning up to EAN40.

Due to chambers closing and a higher need for multiple O2 clean regulators, I have recently broken down and O2 cleaned all of my tanks/valves/first stages. I'll probably "o2 clean" the seconds meaning at least use O2 clean tools and lube the next time I rebuild them, but that won't be for several years.

Right. Right. My bad. I was being dense. You don't need tanks to be O2 Clean to use with (for example) banked Nitrox (40% or less). Obviously, regs don't have to be, either, in that case.

Sorry for my confusion.

Right. Right. My bad. I was being dense. You don't need tanks to be O2 Clean to use with (for example) banked Nitrox (40% or less). Obviously, regs don't have to be, either, in that case.

Sorry for my confusion.
I realise that you have realised your error but for clarification for others I am still posting this.

The issue with the tanks, if my long unused physics knowledge is right, is the pressure during partial pressure filling will raise the temp of the tank which will, in the presence of hydrocarbons (fuel) and high concentrations of oxygen (100% from the oxygen tank), significantly raise the danger of fire. Membrane filling etc does not have that risk as there is never the high % of oxygen.

Seeing as regs are nowhere near the high % oxygen, there is no risk from that point of view (they only ever see mixed blend). Different for high % o2 mixes over 50% though.

About a dozen years ago I was talking to one of the technicians at my shop about nitrox ready regulators. He told me about one specific brand, and I don't recall which one it was. You could buy it either for air or for nitrox, with the nitrox one costing about $40 more. If you bought the regular air version, you could get it upgraded to nitrox in the shop. The only difference was that the nitrox version had a green exhaust instead of a black exhaust. If you had the shop upgrade your air regulator to the nitrox version, they would snap off the black exhaust and snap on a green one--took about a minute.

So, if I buy regs that are O2 Clean and I use them on a tank that was filled with regular (non-O2 Compatible Air), it's still okay to use those regs on a tank that is filled with EAN40. That's what y'all are saying? So, a 1st stage that is not O2 Clean on a tank full of EAN40 is okay?
I dive up to 36 and my regs have never been cleaned. Just my dedicated nitrox tanks have been o2 cleaned. I had the same concerns about the regs called dris and they confirmed 40 and below they are good as is.

I'll add this, there is no magic to O2 cleaning. Cleaning with alcohol, using clean tools, lint free wipes and drying with filtered air (filtered air can be air blown thru a clean cloth of fine weaving) or air from the nitrox whip in an O2 clean tank. You can even take it to the extreme and do all this and re-assemble the regulator in a clear plastic bag of sufficient size.

While inspecting construction of nuke subs a similar cleaning process was used for grade A cleaning of reactor piping systems. There is virtually no difference between the two, except O2 systems will only contain O2, reactor piping can carry radioactive water, anti-boiling chemicals, and other substances, in systems with as much or more pressure than a scuba tank. Nuke sailors have been seriously injured by small steam leaks on subs.

I'll add this, there is no magic to O2 cleaning. Cleaning with alcohol, using clean tools, lint free wipes and drying with filtered air (filtered air can be air blown thru a clean cloth of fine weaving) or air from the nitrox whip in an O2 clean tank. You can even take it to the extreme and do all this and re-assemble the regulator in a clear plastic bag of sufficient size.

While inspecting construction of nuke subs a similar cleaning process was used for grade A cleaning of reactor piping systems. There is virtually no difference between the two, except O2 systems will only contain O2, reactor piping can carry radioactive water, anti-boiling chemicals, and other substances, in systems with as much or more pressure than a scuba tank. Nuke sailors have been seriously injured by small steam leaks on subs.

alcohol doesn't really get rid of hydrocarbons that well.... we usually use simple green or dawn dish soap for that...

I'm confused. Some of you seem to be saying that it's okay to use a 1st stage that is not O2 Clean with a tank full of EAN40.

Is that correct? It's okay to expose non-O2 Clean reg internals to 3500 PSI of 40%?
Per NASA tests, yes. Per DOT regulations for equipment "used in commerce", not so much. But your personal gear is not "used in commerce". A dive shop, not so sure, you probably don't want to be the test case.

Note that enhanced O2 levels less than 40% will significantly change the flammability and burning characteristics of many materials. For example, Nomex, which is what is used in firefighter bunker gear and is considered very flame resistant, will ignite and burn in an atmosphere that contains more than 28% Oxygen. So if someone choose really poorly what to lubricate your reg with it could get bad.

Steam pressure on a nuclear submarine is far below that of a scuba tank.

Steam pressure on a nuclear submarine is far below that of a scuba tank.

Steam isn't the only pressurized thing on a nuclear submarine. There are things at much higher pressures than the steam headers.

I remember well. My comment was about the sailors being "seriously injured by small steam leaks on subs" comment. I've been up close & personal with "small steam leaks on subs" and while it is hot, it's not like on a surface ship using high pressure steam where they look for small steam leaks with broomsticks.

Back
Top Bottom