Do I need a dive flag for Morrison Springs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Florida statute Chapter 327.331 says... YOU ARE REQUIRED TO USE A DIVE FLAG...

The 2011 Florida Statutes
600x3_gradient.gif

[SIZE=-1]327.331 Divers; definitions; divers-down flag required; obstruction to navigation of certain waters; penalty.—

(2) All divers must prominently display a divers-down flag in the area in which the diving occurs, other than when diving in an area customarily used for swimming only.

The basin at Morrison is now a swimming only area.

(3) No diver or group of divers shall display one or more divers-down flags on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, except in case of emergency, in a manner which shall unreasonably constitute a navigational hazard.

Morrison's basin is no longer navigable.

(4) Divers shall make reasonable efforts to stay within 100 feet of the divers-down flag on rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. Any person operating a vessel on a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 100 feet from any divers-down flag.

No need, as the basin is no longer accessible to boats for navigation.

(5) Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of the divers-down flag on all waters other than rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. Any person operating a vessel on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from any divers-down flag.

N/A, boat traffic is not allowed.

(8) Except as provided in s. 327.33, any violation of this section shall be a noncriminal infraction punishable as provided in s. 327.73.
History.—ss. 1, 2, 3, ch. 74-344; s. 64, ch. 74-383; s. 1, ch. 77-174; s. 1, ch. 86-35; ss. 7, 8, ch. 2000-362.
Note.—Former s. 861.065.

Basically, the entire statute applies to navigable waterways. The county placed bouys basically make the site confined. Some may argue the validity of the bouys as prevention of a navigable waterway, but its been done at Troy Springs, Silver Springs, Wakulla Springs, and other places as well. You don't have to float a flag in the pool, do ya?

While they do have buoys at Morrison, boaters do not pay attention to them. The last several times I was at the spring there were at least a couple of boats in the swimming area and no one enforcing the no boat rule.

While they do have buoys at Morrison, boaters do not pay attention to them. The last several times I was at the spring there were at least a couple of boats in the swimming area and no one enforcing the no boat rule.

I think the deputy working yesterday would take exception to this. I was impressed with his professionalism.

Like usual a thread has taken on a life of its own. Time to unsuscribe to my own thread.

Sent from my DROID X2

The basin at Morrison is now a swimming only area.

Morrison's basin is no longer navigable.

No need, as the basin is no longer accessible to boats for navigation.

Basically, the entire statute applies to navigable waterways. The county placed bouys basically make the site confined. Some may argue the validity of the bouys as prevention of a navigable waterway, but its been done at Troy Springs, Silver Springs, Wakulla Springs, and other places as well. You don't have to float a flag in the pool, do ya?

Nope, no flags in the pool!

I think the deputy working yesterday would take exception to this. I was impressed with his professionalism.

Like usual a thread has taken on a life of its own. Time to unsuscribe to my own thread.

Sent from my DROID X2

Unfortunately the deputy isn't there all the time. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing law enforcement there and I'm at Morrison pretty regularly.

You shouldn't need anything but a Glock to protect yourself from the drunks and crazies. On weekdays it's fine, though :)

If they ignore bouys, they'll ignore flags.

You don't legally need a flag in the basin as its a designated swimming area... which is the intention of this thread. Protection from boaters is an entirely different subject, with the glock statement probably ringing the most true when the deputy isn't present.

I understand that. I wasn't really replying to the OP but rather the statement that boats aren't supposed to be in the swimming area. The boats I've seen there have stayed along the perimeter and avoided flags. Yeah, I thought I was dreaming too but the pinch hurt... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom