Do I buy more Gear for Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why not just teach in a long hose? Seems like having two OW Single sets of regs is kinda redundant. Then you just need one extra reg or you can convert doubles regs back and forth if you don't plan to switch back and forth frequently

I train students on what I am wearing. Monkey See, Monkey Do. Firm believe of Lead by example. That said, I train most of my students on Long Hose, but I am not always training my students. The reality is that, most divers going to S. Florida or the Caribbean's are going to rent gear. They need to know what that stupid Yellow hose is and how to use it.

Yes, you always need more. Surprised you have to ask

ROFL Ok, Ok, Ok, you win.... It was a long day at work. You are right

In backmount diving you will have a steel plate on your back. Onto that two gas cylinders are affixed.
In sidemount diving you will have cylinders on your sides. It is wildly different of course! And more balanced!

You will want dedicated sets.

And yes, there may be minor differences in regs, but surely you can sort them out!

Basically what @Marie13 said. If you're gonna dive BM doubles and SM, then you'll want a reg set for each.

For example, I'm switching back and forth between BM doubles and SM every week or so, and it'd be a major drag to break down and reassemble everything that often. With separate reg sets, the only setup work I need to do between dives is to transplant my primary AI transmitter.

I do sidemount doubles but not backmount. My understanding was that attaching the manifold for backmount doubles is a huge PITA, hence once manifolded you generally keep 'em that way.

I've never done it myself. If you think breakdown and setup of doubles is fairly easy then it may not be much of a concern.

Also, if you're diving trimix then you'll either have to recapture that helium somewhere or you'll be wasting a lot of expensive gas during conversions.

I do sidemount doubles but not backmount. My understanding was that attaching the manifold for backmount doubles is a huge PITA, hence once manifolded you generally keep 'em that way.

I've never done it myself. If you think breakdown and setup of doubles is fairly easy then it may not be much of a concern.

Also, if you're diving trimix then you'll either have to recapture that helium somewhere or you'll be wasting a lot of expensive gas during conversions.

BM doubles can be used as independent cylinders with no manifold at all. You could easily dive the same cylinders when and how you like. No lost gas! ☺

N+1. That is the answer.

What is the question? "Do I need more gear, and if so, how much more gear?"

Now go back to my equation, plug the number of pieces of gear (cylinders, regulators, scooters, etc) that you currently own into N.

Repeat as necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom