Do I buy more Gear for Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Micheal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Good Morning All,

I am considering taken a sidemount class next fall. Is it best to have sets dedicated for the job or just reconfigure my Twin Set when needed? I am guessing I probably need another set or 2 anyways.

Regulator Sets I presently have... 2 Atomic M1's and 4 Hog D3's. Taking HOG repair course this weekend.

1. Standard OW Config for Teaching Only
2. Single Tank Long hose - My main set - Teaching and Regular Diving.
3. Twin set
4. O2 Reg
5. Stage/Pony bottle set.

If you’re not going to be diving SM much, you can just reconfigure doubles regs for SM. Otherwise, get a dedicated SM set.

The differences will be inflator hose lengths, an extra SPG/hose, hose for current SPG, and maybe different hose length for bungeed second stage.

What is the size of the room designated for dive gear storage?
If the answer is less than 100 square meters ( bit over 1000 square feet), you may want to consider stop buying gear sooner rather than later. You may not see it, but gear self-multiplies when stored in small places.

My dedicated SM regs have a left-side second stage for the left tank (reversible HOG), so my hose routings are symmetrical. I'm not a fan of hoses behind my head. I also have PPS transmitters on both sides.

More importantly take sm with a very good sm instructor. Sadly there are a lot of sm instructors, but only a handful of exceptional ones. Don’t go to your local shop that has 1 guy that’s been doing 5 sm dives a year for 3 years for your training. Many people have to travel to get good instruction. Instructor preference on gear could affect what you should and shouldn’t buy. I would say first find a good instructor. Ask what they’d like you to have in class, then buy stuff. A good sm instructor will work with you to put your regs together with the right hose lengths and also teach you the how’s and why’s. Do before you blow unnecessary cash, focus on getting a good instructor then decide what you need to buy.

Why not just teach in a long hose? Seems like having two OW Single sets of regs is kinda redundant. Then you just need one extra reg or you can convert doubles regs back and forth if you don't plan to switch back and forth frequently

My sidemount regs are Mk25s with the rotating turret. This is excellent for routing and you can have the inflator hoses (drysuit, wing) coming straight out. I use a longhose with sidemount, bungee it onto the cylinder.

All of my other regulators (10?) are Apeks. The second states are mostly ATX40s which work well. All other first stages are DSTs or DS4s. My backmount twinset regs are Apeks Tek3s which route nicely.

If there was a tip it's keep an eye out for second-hand regs. They do come up quite often and you'd make quite a saving, although the standard rules apply: try to get regs that look new, or you trust the seller. You should get second hand regs serviced before use - and factor in that cost when buying them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom