Do fins have to be black to be DIR compliant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba_moron

Contributor
Reaction score
Pardon this dumb question..

I'm planning to take a class and wondering if I could use a set of yellow Avanti Quattros and still be in DIR complient.

As long as it's a non-split, relatively stiff fin that you can frog kick in, nobody cares what color it is.

I'm planning to take a class and wondering if I could use a set of yellow Avanti Quattros and still be in DIR complient.

Might depend which class and which instructor. For DIR-F you can use pretty much anything except split fins or force fins.

No problem with the color at all. I'd still say that Quattros are a little too flexible to get the kind of manuveability that you can get with jet-type fins. (I started with Quattros, fitted em with spring straps and everything, when I tried jets, they just worked much better with the new kicks I was learning).

Most of us use jet-type (SP jets, turtle fins and other versions by IDI etc) fins because:
1. The stiffness of the blade of the fin is just right for great manuverability with alternate kicks (frog, mod frog, mod flutter, back, helicopter and other fine movements)
2. The negativeness of the fins allows you to better use your legs as lever-arms and therefore control your trim.

They do make jet fins in other colors (overseas), if the different color doesn't make 'em too floaty then there is no problem. Most of us have black jets because that's what's available.

Hope this helps!

Might depend which class and which instructor. For DIR-F you can use pretty much anything except split fins or force fins.

I though Excellerating Force Fins were fine and it was the classic non-rigid one that were off limits?

The Revo (Jet) fins sold in Japan come in white, silver and a sort of tangerine color . . . I'd love a pair of the orange ones, but they're not sold in the States, and they're rather ridiculously expensive.

Off the top of my head, the only time color matters is mask skirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom