Do fins have to be black to be DIR compliant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off the top of my head, the only time color matters is mask skirt.

Hm....never heard that before. It's also not mentioned on the GUE website as to the color of the skirt of the mask.

"Mask: Low Volume mask reduces drag and requires less effort to clear it of water."

Out here in the Monterey area some of us prefer the clear skirt mask. This is useful in our waters (Monterey area) where viz may be limited yet there's plenty of light and a buddy signaling from behind you, hitting the back of your mask will allow you to see the signaling . Using a black skirted mask makes it harder to recognize the light signaling.

I find this especially useful in scootering in case a buddy is a bit behind. From what I see, most divers I see out here use a black skirted mask.

As far as color of the fins, my first thought was "you're kidding, right?". :D

Maybe if we were doing a special project with lots of video documentation, a diver with pink fins, florescent straps, purple wings, etc may just look a bit inappropriate. :11:

Wouldn't safety orange, (or something that approximates it at depth,) be better? It seems like anything that increases visibility would be more useful. Is black just a "look cool" thing?

Wouldn't safety orange, (or something that approximates it at depth,) be better? It seems like anything that increases visibility would be more useful. Is black just a "look cool" thing?

No. Black is what the manufacturers can easily sell... Japan seems to be the only market where consumers demand a wide variety of colour choices.

But you have Deep Sea Supply, Halcyon, Dive-Rite, etc. that make all sorts of DIR gear. Surely if the community demanded it, they would make hideous day-glow orange or yellow gear, and that would help keep everyone in sight. You could probably dye some of the gear if you really wanted.

I can't think of a practical reason that black would be so common in the DIR community (or at least that's the stereo-type), except it looks so cool. Which isn't what one might expect.

But you have Deep Sea Supply, Halcyon, Dive-Rite, etc. that make all sorts of DIR gear. Surely if the community demanded it, they would make hideous day-glow orange or yellow gear, and that would help keep everyone in sight. You could probably dye some of the gear if you really wanted.

I can't think of a practical reason that black would be so common in the DIR community (or at least that's the stereo-type), except it looks so cool. Which isn't what one might expect.

If we take your trolling at face value. Look at DSS. They have different color wings and they are also more expensive.

The consumer base just isn't big enough.

The OP's question (and many of the responses) highlights why I am so resistant to being a "DIR Diver." What possible difference could it make what color a fin, a wing, a suit, etc., is to the effectiveness of the diver within the team? Even the "black skirt" on the mask has nothing to do with being black as opposed to NOT being translucent (something with which I agree with Doc Wong that translucent/transparent is better in our waters).

The fact that anyone could even discuss "what color" shows, to me, a complete and total misunderstanding of what "Doing It Right" is all about.

The OP's question (and many of the responses) highlights why I am so resistant to being a "DIR Diver."
Huh? Why? Because some noob doesn't have a clue you are resistant to DIR?

What possible difference could it make what color a fin, a wing, a suit, etc., is to the effectiveness of the diver within the team? Even the "black skirt" on the mask has nothing to do with being black as opposed to NOT being translucent (something with which I agree with Doc Wong that translucent/transparent is better in our waters).
There is no difference. Its is just misinformation propagated by people that do not have a clue. Like this thread and many others.

The fact that anyone could even discuss "what color" shows, to me, a complete and total misunderstanding of what "Doing It Right" is all about.
Yep

FYI, DiveSystem in Italy produces DIR-oriented fins also in yellow (sure) and pink (or so they say ...).

I've never heard any GUE instructor or GUE diver stating that color is a parameter in selecting gear. It is actually such a foolish statement that I'd be surprised.

But it is true that we mostly dress in black. May be because wearing black makes you look more streamlined :eyebrow:

Seriously the only reason to explain this weird behavior I believe comes from the fact that colors as frequently thought of as "frills", unnecessary elements that do not have a real functionality.
So, as we focus on minimalism and very practical gear, we stick to black.
Who knows? But it's really a moot point, IMHO.
Ciao

Okay, this thread just jumped the shark.

Most *TECH DIVERS* wear black, not just DIR divers. DIR divers don't have any kind of unique fashion sense. Nor is there an enforced dress code.

If you want to wear a dayglow pink drysuit, you just have thick skin and be aware that it'll fade after awhile...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom