Do drysuit pockets create significant drag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have looked at drysuit designs and was wondering if the pockets create drag? I was thinking you would be swimming with a pocket full of water and that does not sound like fun. No?

The suits themself create a lot of drag. If you want to avoid that you need a neoprene drysuit. I have both a shell and a neoprene and the difference is day and nght. FWIW the pockets have holes in them :D

I also do not know of anyone trying to set speed records in a drysuit!

Umm reducing drag is a huge gain in gas consumption.

...that's why they make scooters...
so us old farts don't have to wear ourselves out!

And with less drag you old farts will still get more dive time LOL. Fins are cheaper than scooters too :D

Pocket position is the key. If you swim in a flat, horizontal plane, having the pockets on the outer thigh is the move. The shoulders break up the flow of water, so they don't add a lot to the equation.

As far as the neo vs shell thing, I see a lot of divers with ill fitting shell suits. Taking the time to get a proper fitting suit goes a long way to reducing drag.

Pocket position is the key. If you swim in a flat, horizontal plane, having the pockets on the outer thigh is the move. The shoulders break up the flow of water, so they don't add a lot to the equation.

As far as the neo vs shell thing, I see a lot of divers with ill fitting shell suits. Taking the time to get a proper fitting suit goes a long way to reducing drag.

AJ I think the majority that I see don't have proper fitting suits, Whites and Dive Rite suits stand out there to me. Like the have 3 sizes fit everyone.

FWIW: I went from a wetsuit to a neoprene drysuit with pockets and didn't notice any difference. I'm diving SM which could make a difference.

This all depends on "offset" regarding the hydrodynamic test results on your bp/w.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom