Do cable Ty-Wraps corrode and/or fail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I want to attach bolt snaps and nylon line to a couple of accessories. I notice a lot of people secure the line with ty-wraps. They have a small rachet that I think is metal.

Is there concern about the wraps failing due to the ratchet corroding?

Thanks!

I want to attach bolt snaps and nylon line to a couple of accessories. I notice a lot of people secure the line with ty-wraps. They have a small rachet that I think is metal.

Is there concern about the wraps failing due to the ratchet corroding?

Thanks!

You have to look inside the opening. some are metal and some are plastic.

The metal holds better, but corrodes, while the plastic doesn't corrode, but every now and then will just "let go" for no special reason.

I like the thin braided nylon line (about the same thickness as boot laces). It holds great, never fails and is easy to cut if you need to.

Terry

Yes. zipties or tie wraps will fail but the failure is easy to predict and prevent. Most need replacing once or twice a year with normal use, more often if abused.

One more thing, zip ties should never be used in a position that their failure would create a dangerous situation, like holding weights. They should only be used to make things more streamline or convenient.

BTW, most of the ratchet/clip are plastic. Few are metal anymore.

Also note that some ties are designed to hold up to ultraviolet. Classically, you would want the black ones.

A bolt snap that is zip tied to something can also be twisted to break the zip tie by twisting, while something tied to a bolt snap with cave line cannot. So in that regard, a zip tie can be either a liability or an asset depending on whether you want or want to avoid that possibility.

Thanks to all.

I was thinking about using the zip-ties to secure the end of the line after knotting it.

In other words, pass the line through the accessory or bolt snap, knot it, and use 2 zip ties to secure the bitter end of the line to the body of the line. I'm not sure that's a clear description!

It's not a significant failure point, it would just be to make the end of the line neater.

Heat the end of the bitter end up with a lighter, get it burning nicely and then wet your fingers and squish the ball of melted nylon against the knot. Keeps it secure permanently and leaves no loose end.

Better to melt the end of the nylon line with a lighter, and then smush it down when still blazing hot, probably

I have had some line that just would not play nice when knotted. It kept undoing the knots. I have used tie wraps to lock the knot down but now usually saturate the knot with cheap super glue. It means cutting the line to make a change but most htings stay rigged as is for the duration and it's working for me.

Pete

I have had some line that just would not play nice when knotted. It kept undoing the knots.
The extra crossings of the vice versa knot make it a very secure knot that holds even in things like bungee cords and monofilament. My experience is that if a knot holds in fishline it will hold in anything else.

Vice versa
Camping Knot - Vice Versa Knot

The above two links make tieing the knot look harder than it really is. Just lay the two ends parallel to each other, facing in opposite directions. Do a half-hitch in one line, encircling the other. Take the second line and start a figure 8 around the other. Then tuck the two ends into the loops.

-----------------------

The other knot that I find very useful to attaching a line to the eye of a boltsnap is a simple buntline hitch. Very secure in anything less slippery than monofilament.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom