DM5 cannot run on MacOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use DM5 quite a lot. I used to use it on a Mac but these days on a PC as the plummeting pound make buying a MacBook silly.

When I was using it on the Mac I had a sense of humour failure with Suunto regarding the use of Mono. It is a high risk strategy and it looks like it may have broken them quite properly this time.

See Running WinForms apps in x64 mode on macOS · Issue #6701 · mono/mono my favourite is the post from 21st September.

I would expect some effort to be made to fix this by the various people involved with Mono. It may be the case that manually installing a very recent Mono before DM5 will help, although 1) I am guessing Suunto will use that 2) there may not be a version of Mono yet that works given that ticket is still open.

One way out might be to install windows in a VM or Linux in a VM and try running the PC DM5 under Wine. I’d bet against these though due to the various coms layers needing work to connect to the Eon.

All too complicated for me i'm afraid. That means I cant access all the dive reports I have done? Do you now of a way toaccess the data only so I may load dives/data to a pc?

All too complicated for me i'm afraid. That means I cant access all the dive reports I have done? Do you now of a way toaccess the data only so I may load dives/data to a pc?
If you just want to download, then use another logger program such as Subsurface, until Suunto and/or Mono get sorted out. Another poster wanted to be able to set up his Eon, another update the firmware on a D5. They really need the Suunto program for that.

If you just want to download, then use another logger program such as Subsurface, until Suunto and/or Mono get sorted out. Another poster wanted to be able to set up his Eon, another update the firmware on a D5. They really need the Suunto program for that.

I will be phoning Suunto tomorrow to register my disappointment unless they can sort it out.

I’ve tried DM5 on a PC and a Mac and it does not run well at all for me. The app crashes on the Mac and on the PC the dive data is corrupted on some dives. I use Subsurface which has been great. It’s too bad since I was really interested in upgrading to the Suunto Eon Core but since you need DM5 to be able to modify some operations of their new computers I’ll be looking at switching brands. People shouldn’t need an IT background to run their product.

@pauldw Have you upgraded to macOS Catalina yet? If you haven't upgraded could you click on the apple logo in the top left -> About this Mac -> system report -> software -> applications -> look for suunto DM5 (it should say intel 64 yes or no), what does it say?

I just tried to install it and doesn't open. I'm willing to bet its a 32 bit application and as such won't run on macOS Catalina. Maybe Suunto will update it to be 64 bit or just choose a different dive logging software. I second the recommendations for Mac Dive. If you want a free one subsurface isn't bad at all, I just prefer MacDive.

Yikes I even tried reverting back to Mojave and it wouldn't run well.

So here's an odd thing. I'm running Catalina 10.15, and I'm running Suunto DM5 version1.3.0.19. And it all seems to be working correctly. But in the "About My Mac" place that lists applications, I'm not even seeing the app, not scrolling through the S's or the D's in the list, or anywhere else along the way. So I don't know what's up with that, but DM5 works so I think it's 64 bit (my old 32 bit apps don't work anymore).

A couple or three apps on my computer required adding something else before they would work; I don't recall DM5 being one of them. That said, there's a thread with a suggestion that that's necessary:
Suunto/Mac compatibility issue?...
Good luck!

I'd forget DM5, software designed by diving computer brands are, most of the time, pieces of junk. I'd give MacDive a try. Been using it for several years : easy to use, reliable and with great customer service. Worth the fee.
Having the same issues, even before updating MacOS to Catalina and updating the driver. Unfortunately, you need DM5 to configure the Suunto D5 and you can't do this without DM5. Unless someone has another solution to customize the D5?

Can't address the Mac, but strongly suggest you use another app than DM5. Trouble with it is pretty routine and support is all but non-existent.

One option that works fine WITH support and updates is Subsurface.

Due to the problems with OSx Mojave & OSx Catalina and DM5 (doesn't launch though icon bounces on the dock then multiplies as much as my number of clicks to attempt to launch the program), I downloaded Subsurface thanks to info in this forum.

It works perfectly on both my Mac and iPhone. So frankly, for my dive logs, I can forget DM5 (I wrote to Suunto but never got an answer). My concern is when you need updates, or want to customize the screen, which is a great feature, you can't without DM5.

So any tip to make it work on OSx Catalina is most welcome.

DM5 is so bad it must be costing them computer sales. Who wants to buy a configurable computer where the software is a POS that seems to hardly work at all? I really like the Eon core but there is no way I’d buy one. Suunto are you listening?

Most divers are not on SB. Somehow Suunto has gotten a rep as a good DC. By the time people figure it out they already bought it. They can make good hardware. Their software sux.

Suunto DM5 never worked properly on PC or Mac for me even before I updated to Catalina.

Shearwater is the way to go; no matter what. It has never failed me since I got my Perdix (the Suunto is my back up).

Now, Subsurface's server is down. I tried multiple times today and cannot access the website on any browser I use.

Let's hope they get it up and running again soon.

Back
Top Bottom