DM5 cannot run on MacOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pc and have never gotten it to work correctly, after 6 solid months of tech support emails with suunto they and I gave up! Now Suunto is a backup and Perdix is my main as well! Pretty sad!!

I'm using High Sierra on my MacBook pro and upon installing DM5 I had no connectivity with my Vyper Novo despite it showing the Data Transfer message on the vyper. I contacted suunto online support and they gave me the following direction which worked to get things synced. This maybe specific to High Sierra so maybe won't serve everyones problems but in my case I found the online support to be very responsive.

Thank you for providing these details. Can we try to update the FTDI and MONO FRAMEWORK drivers on your MAC. Here are the steps:
FTDI:
1. Uninstall DM5.
2. Connect the dive computer's USB cable.
3. Install an updated FTDI driver from here: https://bit.ly/2qTqZ3H
4. Reinstall DM5 still with the USB cable connected.
5. Check if Data Transfer is taking place.

MONO FRAMEWORK:
1. Quit DM5
2. Download and install Mono Framework https://movescount-dm4.s3.amazonaws.com/MonoFramework-MDK-4.6.2.7.macos10.xamarin.universal.pkg
3. Start DM5

Also, please make sure that no drivers are blocked in your computer's Security and Privacy section under the General tab.

That last step was important as my computer did initially block one of the updates. I had to complete both steps to get things working.

I can't speak for how reliable DM5 is of yet as I've only just got it working. Maybe I'll end up ditching it in favour of something else!

I had tried the above with no luck.

Had good assistance from Suunto tech support - for Mac running Mojave problem was needed to have an older version of the mono framework installed - key step from their instructions was:

Google search for mono-project.com and go to their Archive so you can select an older Framework version 5.18.1 and install that one.
Direct link to access the downloading: https://download.mono-project.com/archive/5.18.1/macos-10- universal/

my recommendation:
- google how to uninstall mono framework on Mac and run terminal to remove
- delete DM5 from applications
- reinstall DM5
- when prompted to install mono framework cancel and install v 5.18.1
- if prompted install the FTDI drivers

Good luck

Hello,
I cannot find a way to properly install Suunto DM5 on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina).
Once installed, the application crashes immediately.

Any clue on how to get it running?

Cheers
Here is a How To Guide from Suunto to get DM% to work on newer Mac.

Attachments

• Troubleshooting DM5 mac 10.15 - EN.pdf
    973.1 KB · Views: 277
Hello,
I cannot find a way to properly install Suunto DM5 on MacOS 10.15 (Catalina).
Once installed, the application crashes immediately.

Any clue on how to get it running?

Cheers
HELLO BUDDY. I already had that problem too. The solution is install “monoframe work 5.18”. With Thais version the problem is solved

Most divers are not on SB. Somehow Suunto has gotten a rep as a good DC. By the time people figure it out they already bought it. They can make good hardware. Their software sux.
This is very true. This was my situation until I ran into problems with DM5 and came across this thread via a search.

I recently bought a D5 having coveted one on a recent dive trip. The hardware looks good and as I have a Cobra console from years ago, I wasn't concerned about Suunto's reputation of using conservative algorithms (especially as the D5 seemed configurable).
I got the watch and went to install DM5 on my 2016 MacBook Pro running Mojave. That's were things started to go downhill.
The DM5 software looked Mac-like and installed by dragging the app icon into Applications. So far, so good. Then when I clicked to open it, it said it needed to install FTDI drivers. I thought that was clunky, but OK. I install them and they required a reboot. That was worrying as most stuff can install and run on a Mac without needed to be rebooted. But ok, I want to get to configure my new watch. On I go. When the machine rebooted I fired up DM5 again and it told me it needed another set of drivers. By now I'm getting a bit annoyed and I can tell that this is PC software that's been half heartedly ported to Mac (back in OS 10.7 days it seems). But I press on. When the next set of drivers has installed it too requires a reboot. I'd stopped paying attention at this point but looking at this thread, I think it must have been the Mono framework. This time when my machine reboots, the progress bar hangs. I leave it for 10 minutes, 20 minutes, even overnight. Nothing. I force a cold start. Same thing. I try to boot in Safe Mode, same thing.

Something Suunto has installed has completely bricked my laptop.

It has taken me two days of poking around in Terminal, manually mounting my encrypted HD and eventually reinstalling Mojave to get back into my computer.

Now I'm in, I warily click on DM5 and it starts and immediately disappears. No screen was ever visible. It looks like it puts two icons in the recently used dock even though I clicked it once. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and the same thing happens. That's when I searched online and found this thread.

I might try the steps to manually update the FTDI and Mono stuff, but I'm sorely tempted to return the D5.
I don't care how nice the hardware is, for $1,000 - $1,300 I think it's fair to think you're buying into an ecosystem that includes functioning software, especially since they promote it on their website as being for Mac and PC.

It's probably been 15 years since I last looked at connecting a dive computer to a Mac. Back then it was all but impossible and someone I knew through the dive store wrote a Mac dive log program because there was nothing out there. It's sad to see that a company as big as Suunto still can't be bothered to put the effort in to make functional Mac software.

/rant

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom