DM responsibilities/another Q

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gotta disagree here,I HAVE had an SPG on a rental reg blow up in my face,after that I always teach turning the guage face away from everyone and slowly turning on the pressure valve

RJP:
I was on a boat in Kona recently that had the policy "We recognize that you're on vacation, and we're here to make sure you have as relaxing a time as possible, so we handle all your gear set-up, take down, etc for you. Unless you want to do it yourself, which is fine with us as well!"

:)

I was on a Maui boat a few months ago (SSI shop), and when the staff asked for everybody's dive gear so they could set it up before we boarded, I told them I preferred to do it myself. The reply? "Oh, are you an instructor or something?" LOL

The point is that "help" with gear setup is pretty happens all over, regardless of the agency the shop is affiliated with.

Quero:
I was on a Maui boat a few months ago (SSI shop), and when the staff asked for everybody's dive gear so they could set it up before we boarded, I told them I preferred to do it myself. The reply? "Oh, are you an instructor or something?" LOL

That's OK, they weren't really sure what to make of my BP/W, 7' hose, bungied alternate, etc.

One of the other passengers asked me why I had "two regulators."

Hi Pet, I teach mine student away face down the SPG, renting equipments is the main issue, we don’t know any happen prevention is the best.
Slightly depress the purge button.
Good try.

Jason
NetDoc:
I have stopped teaching my students to turn the SPG away from everyone, and just have them concentrate on slightly depressing the purge valve in my OW classes.
SPGs are so stinking reliable nowadays, that I have never seen one that has exploded nor can any of my homies remember it happening in recent history.

I done my gears by myself :D
Diver Dennis:
Most of the places I dive, Asian resorts lately, it is standard procedure for the operators to set up the clients equipment unless the diver does not want this done.
You are right, dive operator give full services for divers unless you sound done by yourself
I always setup my own equipment but most divers do not. In fact, they wash the gear and hang it up as well. Divers just have to put on their gear when they jump in the boat and take it off when they are done, leaving the boatmen to do the rest.

I teach my students to hold the LPI button down when cracking the tank valve, you wanna test the BCD in your predive check anyway...

This is what I was taught and have always done it(except on stage regs then I hold the purge on the 2nd stage). I dive DS4's and service them every 200-250 dives and they always look mint when opened.

RJP:
That's OK, they weren't really sure what to make of my BP/W, 7' hose, bungied alternate, etc.

One of the other passengers asked me why I had "two regulators."

That's one of the reason that noe touches my wife's or my gear. The BP/Wing, and long hose....

Yeah, we're headed off for Indonesia on Monday, to two resorts which both advertise that you can hand them your gear and not touch it for the rest of the trip, except to put it on and dive.

Not me. For one thing, I have the long hose/bungied backup; for another thing, I dive with two pounds in camband pockets, and they have to be pushed right up against the plate, or I'll dive the whole time on one side.

Plenty of excuses, but frankly, it's MY gear, and it's MY life support, and I am used to putting it together myself and checking it myself and I just don't want to put that in anybody else's hands. Peter will just have to put up with dive gear in the room :)

*smile* (and that is not a pleasant smile)

Touch my gear and have a very bad day.

*smile*

Jeff

No PADI requirement I am aware of.
I have a "fix" for the shops that want to set up my gear. I never give up control of my regs. They are in my hand when I get on the boat and I remove them as soon as possible when back on the boat. If they want to put my BC on the tank, fine, I am still going to check it but the rest of the setup is mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom