DM protecting weight belts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gotta disagree. When I pay for a dive boat to take me out, the price includes tanks and weights; it says so on the web page, contract, etc. I don't consider that a loan.
I agree with awap. No tip, no repeat business.

First I have been on boats where the rule is no putting weights in the WI BC. The stated argument was that the BC is then too heavy to yank out of the water. Personally I can't stand WI BCs.

Their boat, you play by their rules.

And totally agree the issue is too trivial. Who cares how your weights are on?

DSDO

Alan

So, you think because you're patronizing said business, it entitles you to do what you want with "issued equipment"?

Ok, that's cool, in understanding this, please don't patronize my dive business, end result, you're happy having gone elsewhere, and I'm happy in not dealing with someone who has no respect for my equipment or rules.

sumguy once bubbled...
Gotta disagree. When I pay for a dive boat to take me out, the price includes tanks and weights; it says so on the web page, contract, etc. I don't consider that a loan.
I agree with awap. No tip, no repeat business.

I HAD to edit it a few times! Trust me! *cackle*

d33ps1x once bubbled...
Well said. I would have just insulted people. Good method.

:eek:ut:

GQMedic once bubbled...
Ok, the Dm wanted HIS weight belts treated a CERTAIN way. Customer or not, regardless, you're BORROWING his equipment. While some may argue that this was a business transaction versus borrowing an item from a friend, that a business transaction would entitle you do "do what you want" with the LOANED items (I say loaned, rented or free loan, it's still a loan, you don't own it) and that is the way wrong thinking.

Your borrowing this DM's weight belts, it's up to him/her how you will use them, and IF you will be allowed to strip them down for use in your WI BC.

My attitude would be: "Ok, it's your belt, your lending it to me, I'm cool with your rules, I can live with it." *shrug* I'd bring my own weights next time so I could "do it my way". No worries!

I'm not gunna stick the guy in the hiney for his tip and avoid his business over a silly weight belt! How trivial!

What tip, he gets a tip for helping me not hindering me.

Yep, it his boat, his tanks, his weights-----his attitude.

I've never had a problem with boats and weights. I bring my own locally and there have always been weights to put in my weight pockets when I've travelled. If a divemaster want to play mine,mine, mine with his weights, I can do a mine, mine, mine with my walllet.
There are some sanctimonious DM twits out there.

You guys are simply blowing something small way out of proportion...

Problem: - you are using rented equipment...you agree to use the equipment according to all guidelines set forth by the owner/issuer. For example...when you rent a charter do you get to drive the boat?

Soluntion: - Bring your own weights and other equipment next time...problem solved

To be honest, I have never gone on a dive charter or to a dive site without my weight belt (I've hopped in without it on...but never left it at home...yet...)

I am failing to see the issue...

I travel to dive.
I cannot fly with weights (it already takes some fast talking...).
I contract a service that includes the provision of weights.
I use WI (with back pockets) to get the correct trim.
I am familiar and therefore safer with my normal setup.
I WILL NOT dive with an abnormal configuration to suit some jumped up DM.
I do not accept that I am 'borrowing' anything (a ridiculous premise).
It is my money - I AM the customer.

Glad I saw this thread - another question to ask before selecting a dive service.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Problem: - you are using rented equipment...you agree to use the equipment according to all guidelines set forth by the owner/issuer. For example...when you rent a charter do you get to drive the boat?

Soluntion: - Bring your own weights and other equipment next time...problem solved

To be honest, I have never gone on a dive charter or to a dive site without my weight belt
I am failing to see the issue...

What airline do you fly?

Grajan once bubbled...
I travel to dive.
I cannot fly with weights (it already takes some fast talking...).

What fast talking? Obviously, hauling lead around while flying is not intelligent behavior, but the rest of your equipment doesn't require any special explanation GQMedic is right! Your money, his equipment. You pay for the priveledge to use it. You are not buying it. How you use it is the choice of the owner. In this case, the "customer" is NOT always right. Call it respect for others property.

Jetwrench

DennisS once bubbled...
What airline do you fly?
Well, when we went to LaPaz, I think we flew Northwest and Some connection service out of LA...Oh yeah...I was able to fit all my crap well within the weight limitations for one week with 2 check on bags...that included my weight belt.

Why does it matter?

If you want to bring your own stuff, bring your own stuff. Just be ready to pay for heavy crap like tanks....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom