DM protecting weight belts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coreyh

Registered
Reaction score
I was diving last week with an outfit down on Statia for one morning, single-tank dive. The DM wouldn't let my husband and I take weights off the belts to put into our WI BCs. We asked why, and the only answer was that the DMs didn't want to break their backs pulling all that weight out of the water at the end of the dive. Well, ok, except we all climbed up via the ladder with all our gear on at the end -- as was clearly the standard exit. I am left just thinking they are lazy about putting together weight belts and didn't want us undoing them. I would have been happy to put it back together at the end, but it was rejected out of hand. Any insight?

Either that or maybe he was worried he wouldn't see them again... not that you would steal them but perhaps the DM had that happen in the past...

No tip and no repeat business. They must have forgotten that you were a CUSTOMER.

awap once bubbled...
No tip and no repeat business. They must have forgotten that you were a CUSTOMER.

Seems a lot of things are going that way, like restaurants where the waitress is put out because you water in addition to your drink...

I've never been on a diveboat that had weightbelts "pre-set".

I've only ever seen a milk crate or similar full of wights and a bunch of empty weight belts. You just grab what you need and put it together for your dives and then put it back how you found it afterwords... Simple.

I suppose it's possible that they have had divers walk off with weights still in integrated pockets and this is a relatively simple way to prevent it happening again.

:wink: Maybe you could arrange to post a bond on the weights next time? :wink:

my old oceanic jacket bc had locator pins which were fine and fairly secure, however on a recent trip i was leading a group and noticed my GF was finning like mad, i knew she couldnt have seen a nudibranch from that distance so it must be something urgent. I span round further to see one of the group going up, and his wife was swimming down to recover his weight pouch (kind of her) my GF was still after him, when the second pouch shot out. - Velcro alert. In the end we grabbed him before he got away but it was getting fun. The wife then calmly swims over clutching the weights.

In general i have had some dirty looks over my weighty BC but never been stopped from using it that way. Only the afore mentioned incident has made me check WI BC's more throughly now.

dc4bs once bubbled...
I've never been on a diveboat that had weightbelts "pre-set".

I've only ever seen a milk crate or similar full of wights and a bunch of empty weight belts. You just grab what you need and put it together for your dives and then put it back how you found it afterwords... Simple.
Club Med... couple of milk crates full of belts, sorted by color, in 4-pound increments starting at either 8 or 12 pounds.
Each had a buckle on one end and a rivet in the other. The rivet would not allow the weights to be removed (or fall off if the belt were removed and held by the buckle).

Ok, the Dm wanted HIS weight belts treated a CERTAIN way. Customer or not, regardless, you're BORROWING his equipment. If you were borrowing MY equipment, I have every right to specify things I don't want YOU to do with it. If that means dissassemble the weights and use them in your WI BC, then so be it. While some may argue that this was a business transaction versus borrowing an item from a friend, that a business transaction would entitle you do "do what you want" with the LOANED items (I say loaned, rented or free loan, it's still a loan, you don't own it) and that is the way wrong thinking. Your borrowing this DM's weight belts, it's up to him/her how you will use them, and IF you will be allowed to strip them down for use in your WI BC.

My attitude would be: "Ok, it's your belt, your lending it to me, I'm cool with your rules, I can live with it." *shrug* I'd bring my own weights next time so I could "do it my way". No worries!

I'm not gunna stick the guy in the hiney for his tip and avoid his business over a silly weight belt! How trivial!

awap once bubbled...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom