DM Poll: Are you active and insured?

Are you an active, insurance carrying DM?

• I'm an active DM working in the industry.

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • I'm an inactive DM who formally work in the industry.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I'm an inactive DM and have never worked in the indiustry.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syntaxerrorsix

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
So you took the DM course. Are you going to work as a dive professional, carry insurance and actually BE a Divemaster ?

I love to Divemaster and when I cant dive for fun I can always get in the pool and dive. As for the insurance well what can I say. I work in an industry that deals with death and mayhem. I will never go without it. :)

I didn't vote, as the choice that I would make is not there.

A DM has no status in France, and I can not work here as a DM. Unfortunately French law (in their sports code) defines the certification levels, and they are quite different to PADI or RSTC guidelines in general.

So, I have let my PADI membership lapse and am no longer a teaching status renewed DM because there is nothing I can do with it.

Am I still a diver, doing divemastery things? Yes I am, but under my french certification.
Am I being paid? In beer, yes. Money, no.
Am I happy with this? relatively.

HTH

Jon

I am a full time lawyer, part time writer, (The Scuba Snobs books) and part time scuba professional. I teach pool classes one or twice a month, spend 4 weekends a year at our local reservoir for open water training, and occasionally DM on dive boats at certain dive destinations with whom I have developed a relationship. I guess I am kind of like a "national guard" DM. Training weekends through the year and a couple weeks of deployment. And yes, I keep my insurance current.
DivemasterDennis

I checked active. I have been told I will be a working/paid DM at the LDS in the near future (hopefully this summer). We have a ton of DMs already on staff. Am insured.

I assist my husband with OW classes, and occasionally do a refresher. I recently got my clearance to do Discover Scubas, as well. I'm not paid for anything -- my reward for helping with classes is domestic tranquillity.

I do enjoy working with the OW classes in the pool, most of the time -- it's kind of fun to get in the water in minimal exposure protection and no weight, and get to float around and look fabulous :) In the open water, I'm half terrified all the time, because keeping track of very unpredictable and highly stressed students in what starts as limited viz and gets close to zero by the time they're through with it is very anxiety-provoking for me. I think I'd enjoy it more someplace like Maui!

I think this is a very interesting topic for a thread, and I will be interested in the results.

It is not clear to me, though, that everyone participating will be certified only at the DM level and has not subsequently gone on to AI or instructor. Is that the intent? If so, it is not spelled out in the OP. Being an instructor, I did not participate, which means I don't get to see the results unless someone periodically posts them.

So, I am also an instructor who only very rarely instructs. My DM certification is the one that actually is the DM for the boat, even though we have many other DM's on the boat. So, I don't teach or assist, nor do I lead dives, but It's absolutely critical that I maintain teaching status professionally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom