DM lost in translation!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reevo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there everyone, i have been working at a dive shop in Japan and have been progressing through my divemaster for around 2 months. I have another 7 weeks left to finish before my visa expires So far i have done my emergency assistance plan, stamina and am half way through my map. (just to give you some background)

Anyhow, i am the only divemaster in the shop and i have to admit my Japanese is passable but as any DM`s out there can imagine its tough going trying to explain things in detail. (I have been in the country under 2 years total) I dont have anyone to quiz or practice skills etc with. I went into the water with my instructor the other day and tried some of the skills, fin pivot was OK but then i tried the removal of the BCD, it going OK but when i took it off the weight of the tank took me and i fell forward, I tried numerous times but had the same problem (I know i should be able to do this experience but Its been some time since i did my OW) Does anyone have any tips on this or any similar experiences.

I am worried about my 20 skills and that they have to be demonstration quality, obviously time is of the essence but now is peak season so the chances of me having chance to practice are slim to none as we dont have a pool i can practice in and obviously i cant go by myself to practice.

Hopefully the scuba board members will be kind enough to help me through it and act as my fellow DM buddy!

Any ideas welcome,
Andy.

Reevo,

can you explain in detail how you're trying to do it?

Also, you mention that you can't practice alone. Are you sure about that? Isn't there anywhere along the shore where you can practice quietly in a few metres of water?

R..

And perhaps refresh your memory by watching the OW pool session portion of the videos again.

Your instructor, while not teaching you the skill, should be bringing you up to demonstration quality - that should be a part of your DM training.

It's not ideal but you can practice a lot of your skills on land. Mask removal, 5 point decent and ascent, regulator/snorkel exchange, etc. can be done out of water. Go through all the motions and get them down pat on land and then when you get a chance you can practice more in the water.

You might feel silly doing these drills dry but it'll help you. And if you have someone watch you, they can more easily and quickly communicate to you what you're doing wrong than they could if you were underwater. I remember practicing quite a bit on land before my skills test.

Regarding the removal of your BC, do you have integrated weights? If so, you might try switching to a weight belt.

What is your stance on the bottom? I found that kneeling with on my right knee on the bottom and my left foot in frount of me and flat on the bottom gave me the best support. The BC can be set close to you in the area beside your left leg. I also prefer to be over weighted by 3 or 4 lbs, if your at a DM level in your skills that is not hard to deal with but at the same time helps plant you more solidly on the bottom. I also like to have a few pounds in the BC itself, you don't want it very negative but if it's on the verge of positive it can be more difficult deal with. This is esp true if the tank is close to empty.These tips also help with your weight belt removal and replacement.

Hi everyone, thanks for the ideas on what to do for the removal. Sorry for the delayed response it is peak season so i havnt been able to use the computer.

I had a chat with my instructor about it and luckily we had a free day the other day so we headed down to the local beach and she showed me some demonstration quality skills and we practiced together. I now have a better idea of how to execute demonstration quality skills although i am unable to go to the beach and practice by myself i now feel a little more confident although i still think it is going to be tough to do all 20 in 1 session.

Do any PADI instructors out there have any comments on the 20 skills at demostration level, eg, common mistakes that DM candidates make etc and also does anyone have the scoring criteria on how we are marked which is in the instructors manual. (I have it in Japanese but it is taking me a long time to decifer!!)

Finally, i also have to do the equipment exchange with a buddy. What experience does everyone have of this, was it really difficult? I was thinking of going with fins, then weights, then mask and finally BCD. What do people think?

Cheers,
Andy.

andy -

In the stress test start in the other person's gear and change into your own :wink: Remember to buddy breath correctly or you will not pass this skill.

I don't have my manual but
5 - skill done to demo quality, no difficulties, appeared smooth, controlled and precise
4 - skill done to demo quality, no difficulties, not quite as smooth or professional
3 - skill is done, minor difficulties or hitches
2 - skill isn't up to snuff, major difficulties
1 - skill not completed or dangerous or terrible

I might accept a 4 from a candidate but I wouldn't accept a 3 YMMV

reevo:
but then i tried the removal of the BCD, it going OK but when i took it off the weight of the tank took me and i fell forward, I tried numerous times but had the same problem (I know i should be able to do this experience but Its been some time since i did my OW) Does anyone have any tips on this or any similar experiences.
With a tank that's significantly negative (and I have a 12 litre where the tank alone weights 17kg) the easiest thing is to get one leg out in front so your upper leg is parallel with the ground with the knee bent and foot flat on the floor; then bring the BCD round in front of you and rest the tank base on your leg. This means you can continue to use the weight of the tank to keep you stable.

Hey Alcina, thanks for the good tip on the equipment exchange. I have to do it with my instructor as i dont have a DM buddy so i want it to go smoothly.

I also found with the BCD removal that planting the front foot is a good way to stabalise myself and that adding a little extra weight to my weight belt was helpful to keep me on the bottom. I think with some more practice i should be able to get it together!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom