DM jobs in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honeybuck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Everybody!
So, I guess I'm new inhere. I apologize for my ignorance if this has already been a topic before. But I am bored out of my arse in Denmark and I heard about this place called Thailand(!)

It's getting too expensive for me to support my diving hobby with trips to expensive dive destinations (I.e Costa Rica in two weeks - I'll make sure to give you a review when I get back) and I'm set on spending some time abroad for some proffessional experience in diving.

I have worked as a DM in Vietnam before, but my timing this year calls for Thailand it seems. Which brings me to my question for this forum:

How should I go about renewing my PADI licence? Do I sort it out in Thailand or should I take care of it before I go?

Where in Thailand could I hope to find a DM job? Places on my mind right now is Khao Lak, Krabi & Ao Nang, Similan Islands..
I speak danish, swedish, english fluently, while I understand most german and a little spanish. It's been a year since I worked in diving, but I have kept myself updated.

I have been to Thailand before, but only dived around Koh Tao where it seemed to be an abundance of divemasters around, more or less willing to work for free it seemed.

I hope you guys can help me with my questions and that you all have wonderful diving experiences.

- Honeybuck

so honey pie, I have a few suggestions for you. there is one place that immediately jumps out. its called wickeddiving.This Sweedish based company is presently looking to recruit a OWSI but you may be a very good option for them if you would work in return for an IDC. You will have an excellent opportunity with these guys.
If you are true to the job and not over indulging in the tempations of thai night life then Khao Lak will work fine for you. One thing i will say is that the diving in Thailand varies enormously.
Phi Phi, for me, is far too crowded and with a more sharky type of boss. But the diving is Awesome!!!
Koh tao in the Gulf of Thailand is a real backpackers stop off where there is a very high turnover of OW students. You would live in the cheaper digs that are up the hill in the woodland. The diving is pretty good here.
Samui, the main island in the Gulf has a more upmarket and family feel to it, but they dive in Koh Tao waters anyway.
about Phuket. what can you say... As thailands largest island, it is ideally located for all the best diving but job competition is intense here. Its always best to try and get a job before you arrive.
You could also choose to work on the liveaboards that are anchored in the Similans. This type of job hires many DMs and I know that Wicked Diving does this also.
Good luck

Thanks a million Rick! Sounds like you know what you are talking about. My main objective with this diving-Thailand-project, is to get proffessional diving experience and to improve my diving skills and knowledge, so I do intend to keep out of trouble and I do take diving seriously. That being said, atmosphere, people and life outside the water is important to me.

A friend of mine who's been working as an instructor in Ao Nang told me great stuff about that place.
Anyway - I'll look into these WickedDiving guys and see what's up!
Thanks again Rick and good luck to you too!

- Bucket of Honey

Howdy and Welcome to SB.com!
Big_eyed.gif

Click Forums at the top to start checking all the choices, and try our :search: feature. Hope you enjoy your time here. Click my Username to PM me if I can help? Helpful Hint: I have UserCP bookmarked as the page I go to first when I come onto SB.

thnks1agan.gif
don :cowboy:
[c]
fbottom2.gif

[/c]

my pleasure Honey, I actually dived as a customer in Ao Nang 18 months back and yes its quite good. There are a bunch of bars to visit at night so you will be able to enjoy your evenings. Also, a direct 1 hour ferry from Ao Nang to Phuket Town on your day off. Good luck to you. I should be in Phuket from 20th Oct. Skol!

Hej Honeybuck!!!

Trevligt att se lite andra scandinaver på Scuba Board.. :)

Jag bor på Phuket i Thailand själv och jobbar på ett dyk center. Att få ett arbets tillstånd som Dive Master i Thailand är väldigt svårt för det är ett jobb som thailändare kan göra. Du har mycket lättare att få det som instruktör.

Som scubarick1 sa får du någ väldigt mycket jobb i Koh Tao men dykning där är skit, till och med instruktörerna blir överlyckliga när dom ser en boxfish.. inte särskillt spännade.

Om du vill ha bra dykning året runt så rekommenderar jag att du kommer till Patong, här kan du få variation mellan guidning Similans och (om du blir instruktör) kurser. Perfekt om du vill ha lite liv och rörelse runt dig även när du inte dyker.

Som sagt, tänk över om du vill bli instruktör, om inte blir det svårt att jobba i Thailand.

Hoppas detta hjälpte och säg till om du har fler frågor så ska jag göra mitt bästa för att hjälpa dig.

Lycka till.

Sanna

Men men! Vor roolit at treffa dig her Sanna :) Hur är leget?
Kanske jag skulle åke dit til Phuket da. Låter rigtig bra med Similan islands. Dom får jag helt säkkert dykka. Men hur är det med IDC training i Phuket - hur mycket får man betale for det? Och funkar det kanske at göre det som internship?

Lycka till dig okso!

Honeybucket

Hej igen!!

Det är varierar mycket på vad det kostar att göra IDC programmet beroende på vilken nivå du vill nå. Det börjar på ca 35,000 baht vilket är ca 7000 svenska kronor men det är utan material och boende och sånt.

Om du klickar på länken här nere där det står "Phuket, Thailand IDC" eller på "Live and work in Thailand" hittar du allt du behöver veta. Om du sen dår vidare och clickar på "contact us" så skickas mailet till våran Course Director, Tony. Han är en toppen kille och kan svara på alla dina frågor mer ingående.

Hur är vädret hemma i Scandinavien då??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom