DIY Wing Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@James79 Are you bringing them to Scuba Ranch?
Yep, though I'll probably bring my teenagers Mk2 rather than the white and blue one (that one belongs to my 11 y.o., and the harness is sized as such!).
Are you going to come by?

Yep, though I'll probably bring my teenagers Mk2 rather than the white and blue one (that one belongs to my 11 y.o., and the harness is sized as such!).
Are you going to come by?
I am 1.5 hours away, but thinking of making the drive over.

Looks nice.
I have used small tire tubes.

I've been thinking to do my own BP/W for some time. I was trying to define how to make the bladder, and arrived to the conclusion that a tire inner tube would be the best solution, however I thought that that's not a solution for a scuba diver.
I've changed my mind after reading the book "Aquanaut: a life beneath the surface" written by Rick Stanton, the cave diver that rescued the 13 Thai boys together with John Volanthen. Some where in the book, Rick described his DIY BP/W made with a car tire inner tube.
1013500_10151669141833430_392718357_n.jpg

Figured my vintage triples needed a wing.
Works well.
I have done the same thing using the same back plate for a single tank.. it was for a small kid. Where most bcd where to big.
20210820_174147.jpg

Figured my vintage triples needed a wing.
Works well.
I have done the same thing using the same back plate for a single tank.. it was for a small kid. Where most bcd where to big.View attachment 677823
Hi, other than maybe the weight, is there any disadvantage to using the plastic style backplates over metal?

Hi, other than maybe the weight, is there any disadvantage to using the plastic style backplates over metal?
I would prefer metal, I have a ton of these old plastic plates, thought it would go well with the vintage triples,. A steel plate probably get the double hose closer to my back, and I could gain abit more weight for my thicker suits,

I'm thinking of using a plastic plate for a travel rig, because they're lighweight and cheap. Do you think there's any big reason I should go with an Al plate instead? (tropical water, so won't have to add too much weight)

Its actually blow molded plastic backplate,,,, yeah its light. You'll want one that is setup for a cam strap, not the steel band with fiddly wing nuts,
But a wing is not really meant to fit it, (I used a tire tube)

Just get a conventional aluminum plate or carbon fiber, with a normal wing,

I don't know, but I doubt you're going to get away with no bouyence device on a boat, or a tire tube wing, unless you know someone, :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom