DIY Wing Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its actually blow molded plastic backplate,,,, yeah its light. You'll want one that is setup for a cam strap, not the steel band with fiddly wing nuts,
But a wing is not really meant to fit it, (I used a tire tube)

Just get a conventional aluminum plate or carbon fiber, with a normal wing,

I don't know, but I doubt you're going to get away with no bouyence device on a boat, or a tire tube wing, unless you know someone, :wink:
I was planning on trying to replicate the OP's wing design (using either a tire tube or an inflatable toy inside). I've seen others use dernier fabric to make the bladder, sealing the seems with either heat or PVC cement. Personally, I have never been able to find fabric that didn't leak.

It is a crapshoot, I've bought stuff from the same place buy it again and comes different stuff
Here's some stuff it has to be shiny inside and depends on how much the Chinese guy sprays

Plastic backpacks are perfect for everything

025.JPG

like a VDH 18 for some single hose diving, see Nemrod another fat stiff string

029.JPG

Even some double hose diving without the wing

full

But first thing it's good to find some lead balls

full

Perfect!

I haven't had anyone express concerns on my wings (and a buddy has taken his that's made the same way on multiple boats), but I chalk that up to them looking "professional". And if you sew up your own, you can put the cam band slots where you want.
You can also cut a backplate out of a $5 cutting board.... It's what my kids dive.

I was planning on trying to replicate the OP's wing design (using either a tire tube or an inflatable toy inside). I've seen others use dernier fabric to make the bladder, sealing the seems with either heat or PVC cement. Personally, I have never been able to find fabric that didn't leak.
DM sent

I've been thinking to do my own BP/W for some time. I was trying to define how to make the bladder, and arrived to the conclusion that a tire inner tube would be the best solution, however I thought that that's not a solution for a scuba diver.
I've changed my mind after reading the book "Aquanaut: a life beneath the surface" written by Rick Stanton, the cave diver that rescued the 13 Thai boys together with John Volanthen. Some where in the book, Rick described his DIY BP/W made with a car tire inner tube.
View attachment 677802
Today I saw the documentary "The Rescue" form Nat Geo in Disney+
Here a screen shot I've taken where Rick is using his high tech bladder. I guess that the picture I've added in my previous post is Rick using his rig, but that pic has several years, even before the Thai incident.
Captura de pantalla 2021-12-31 15.24.45.png

Update time... Made my first double wing. I made it for the type of diving I and my usual dive buddy do... 3 mm wetsuit, old school 72s with a single outlet manifold. Ended up with 28 lb lift as installed in fresh water (so 29 lb in salt). With the 1800 psi 53's I tested with, they trim out beautifully!
IMG_20230429_104805_01.jpg
IMG_20230429_104805_02.jpg

So I finally got around to building and testing the DIY wing using @James79's designs. Overall it was a big success. The dump valve being on the side made fully draining all the water from the bladder much easier, than the usual placement. I used mine with an Al backplate and no STA. For subsequent trips I will be adding a rudimentary stabilizer; I found that when donning the bc the tank would often twist slightly due to lifting it by just 1 side. I will try to upload some pictures when I get a chance. Thanks again to James for the plans.

Update time... Made my first double wing. I made it for the type of diving I and my usual dive buddy do... 3 mm wetsuit, old school 72s with a single outlet manifold. Ended up with 28 lb lift as installed in fresh water (so 29 lb in salt). With the 1800 psi 53's I tested with, they trim out beautifully!
Still using the intex swim rings James?

Still using the intex swim rings James?
Intex and generics. Only failures I've had were design issues when prototyping (if the bladder isn't bigger than the fabric wing it will stretch at the flange holes and have a massive leak). The only doubles wing I made is the one pictured above, and I tried an inner tube for that one... Works, but is heavy. Unfortunately it's difficult to find a swim ring the center opening big enough for a doubles wing.

Intex and generics. Only failures I've had were design issues when prototyping (if the bladder isn't bigger than the fabric wing it will stretch at the flange holes and have a massive leak). The only doubles wing I made is the one pictured above, and I tried an inner tube for that one... Works, but is heavy. Unfortunately it's difficult to find a swim ring the center opening big enough for a doubles wing.
Thanks for responding. I've made my own bladders for an xdeep ghost type and a razor sidemount type, both of which worked ok. I tried to make an oval one like you do but it wasn't great so maybe the swimring is the answer. Do they trap air because the shapes are different or am I imagining an issue that doesn't exist?
I have a dodgy shoulder and can't reach doubles valves so wont be needing to make a doubles wing any time soon! :)
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom