DIY Wing Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James79

Reinventor of Wheels
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Almost 2 years ago, I started a thread on my $28 BPW... That particular one is back in action (sort of, has a known slow leak from a malformed elbow.), thrown together with spare parts. It's officially a spare, and reminder of lessons learned now.

Since that experiment, I've refined the process/product, and my kids are both diving Mk2 of my DIY wing design (in different colors, because why not) on cuttingboard backplates. I'm diving Mk3 (super minimal, measured at 12 lb lift) on a VDH plate, and Mk4 is getting assembled to a backplate for testing.

Money spent on wings varies with how much I 3d printed. A Mk2 wing just got made with all factory fittings, no printed parts and came in at $65 invested. Mk4 has the power inflator as the only "Scuba" part in it (all fitting printed, hand cut seals from EVA foam, etc.) and has a total of $28 into it.

Mk5 will be a doubles wing, when I get around to starting that one.

Left to right, Mk2, Mk3, Mk4:
20210811_151649.jpg

Mk2 (my 11 y.o.'s):
20210811_151655.jpg

Mk3:
20210811_151658.jpg

Mk4:

20210811_151703.jpg

Respectfully,

James

Are you making the bladder its-self?

Looks great:thumb:

Maybe there is a unicorn floaty inside one of them? DRIS sells a convertible wing 23/38 with one bladder and two shells. It seems that bladder size is only important for p valve and not so much for flotation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom