DIY wing. Critique and Comments.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it can contribute to this thread... once I made a "bulletproof bladder" for the wing i used for sidemounting.
DSC03193.JPG

in case img disappers: Picasa Web Albums - ARY

what system did you use for sidemounting?

what system did you use for sidemounting?
It is DIY - modified design of full body climbing harness w/attachment points for a wing. But for the inner bladder construction it doesn't matter: if it fits it - it works. I removed the original bladder from OMS wing and used innertube there as it is a cheaper replacement if you ever tear the bladder. The side effect is that this rubber bladder is heavier weight than P-Urethane.

gearsale.omswing.001.jpg

or

ARYsmallholesharness1.jpg

DocEd & Antero,

Well done!

What size inner tube? Aprox how much lift?

Thanks,

Couv

I think I got around just under 20 pounds of lift. Not a lot, but great for monkey diving. I'm currently using a larger wing at the moment since I started getting into wreck and my requirements changed accordingly.

20 lbs seems plenty for most of the diving I would do, I was wondering what size inner tube before I started experimenting.

Cheers,

Couv

Don't know what kind of diving you do.....sounds like you saved yourself alot of money. Since you have your flamesuit on, I'll say I hope you have excellent craftsmanship since your life is in your hands. Looks pretty good though, not sure I'd wanna dive with it, but hopefully it all works out for ya.

Why does everyone equate BCD with life support.
Until 40 or so years ago, there were no BCD"s.
Divers used LUNGS to control bouyancy and a couple of rocks in their pockets.

I say,"Go For It Dude".
My first wing was the bladder from a 30 year or so year old BCD.
I cut the bladder from the front portion of the BC, snipped a few slots for my cam bands, replaced the torn corrugated hose and sticky inflator and bolted it to a back plate.
I dove that rig last sunday and it still works great.

Just a guess, but since believing BCs are critical life support equipment helps to justify spending extra on them and paying for largely unnecessary annual maintainance, it could be coming from LDSs trying to generate revenue. After all, if all this stuff is meant to keep you alive underwater, isn't it worth spending money on the best stuff they offer??

Great looking DIY wings, BTW.

20 lbs seems plenty for most of the diving I would do, I was wondering what size inner tube before I started experimenting.

Cheers,

Couv

Not sure what Antero used, but I've got an R-13 inner tube just waiting to be transformed... the R-13 is slightly larger than the bladder I used, so it might just get me to 20 again.

Back
Top Bottom