DIY wing. Critique and Comments.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, I've got my flame suit on...

s640x480
after my last dive trip where I felt slightly disappointed by my regular stab jacket, I decided to try making my own wing. I utilized the backpack from my stab jacket and webbed it, and as for the wing, I got an old horse-collar BCD (on ebay. For 0.99 cents. shipping was more expensive :)), repositioned the inflator hose and OPV (and sealed up the holes using clamps), sewed up a black cover for the whole thing (because the blue and orange of the old cressi-sub BCD was not my thing - that's why it only cost 0.99 I imagine) and attatched the thing to my harness.
I've tested it in the pool. It floats with a tank and 10 pounds of weight on it (I use 10 pounds with my full 3/2 suit here in the Philippines - I'm sure that I can cut down on that as time goes by). Didn't get to try it on with me in it because they had just chlorinated the pool at my LDS.
Anyway, I just found out that I my group is going diving this weekend, so I guess I get to test this in open water. Before I do that, I'd like to hear any criticsms or comments while there's still time (15 hours to go til 1st dive :D).
Be frank. Be brutal. I've got my flame suit on :D :duck:

Don't know what kind of diving you do.....sounds like you saved yourself alot of money. Since you have your flamesuit on, I'll say I hope you have excellent craftsmanship since your life is in your hands. Looks pretty good though, not sure I'd wanna dive with it, but hopefully it all works out for ya.

I've got all the pieces that you've mentioned, so I'm eager to hear how it goes as well.

Sadly, it looks a lot better than half the stuff I see in the stores. I hope it works out for you!

It’s ingenuity like this that got the gear is where it is today. SO take off the flame suit and relax.

I made my first dive watch before they were affordable. :wink:

Gary D.

From the pic, it looks pretty decent. I think thats pretty clever using the horse collar for a wing bladder. Good for you, but be carfefull testing!

Assuming you tested the horse collar bladder well, especially after moving the inflator, I would dive it.

You mentioned sealing the old inflator opening with clamps....exactly what do you mean by that? Do you mean you used clamps to glue a patch in place? Or there are clamps still on it holding the opening closed? That "moving the inflator hose and sealing the old hole" part seems like it would be the biggest potential problem. If you got that right, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I would be wanting to do my first dives with this thing wearing as little weight as possible. If it fails, you should be able to swim it up. Being in the Philippines (lucky dog!) you probably aren't wearing a very thick wetsuit, so you shouldn't need much weight. I learned to dive before there were BCD's, so the failure of one doesn't worry me too much.

Let us know how it goes!

Way to go. My only criticism would be that you appear to have no workable octo or sharable air source. It appears that you have an integrated inflator and a pretty short primary second stage hose. I suppose you could hand off your primary but the recipient will be kept extremely close while you're trying to breath off your inflator, while also managing your bouyancy. If you're diving solo, all is vell.

Stay safe,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom