DIY Video Housing a success...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope SB will get this thread posted in the DIY forum so that it may continue. Perhaps by posting this it will appear in the DIY forum.

I've been gathering parts and materials to make my own housing but haven't started the actual construction.

So, I'm hoping this will get those of you that have been active in this thread in the past back to share what you've done recently.

I'll post something once I've actully put something together. In the meantime, thanks for all of the information from those who have already put it together!

-Mark-

I would recommend www.ulcs.com

Ultralight was very friendly and sold be the parts for mounting my UK Light Cannons to my DIY Housing. They have just about everything and it is real quality. Our Divemaster on the last trip dropped my housing and broke my handle. I attached a longer arm from ulcs and it worked great.

Mark.

Hello All,

I have thoroughly enjoyed following this thread and look forward to undertaking my own housing project (after I finish 8-10 other projects). Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I have a couple of ideas that I thought I would throw out there. With all of the concern about water infiltration both in the water and on the shore/boat between dives I began to wonder if I could reduce or eliminate the need to open the housing.

1) Use an IR remote in a waterproof skin to control the camcorder. Allready documented in the thread.

2) Use an inductive charger similar to the one my (waterproof) electric toothbrush uses.

3) Download digital video using a USB/Firewire to IR/Bluetooth/WiFi adapter.

Please let me know what you think?

I also have a question regarding the sealing of the forward lens of the housing.
After completing the fixed end of the housing would it be beneficial to apply a vacuum to the interior of the housing then apply an additional coating of 5200 sealant to all joints so that if there are any voids the sealant would be drawn inward by the vacuum to seal them??

Thanks

Steve

mohave_steve:
I have a couple of ideas that I thought I would throw out there. With all of the concern about water infiltration both in the water and on the shore/boat between dives I began to wonder if I could reduce or eliminate the need to open the housing.

1) Use an IR remote in a waterproof skin to control the camcorder. Allready documented in the thread.

2) Use an inductive charger similar to the one my (waterproof) electric toothbrush uses.

3) Download digital video using a USB/Firewire to IR/Bluetooth/WiFi adapter.

Please let me know what you think?

I also have a question regarding the sealing of the forward lens of the housing.
After completing the fixed end of the housing would it be beneficial to apply a vacuum to the interior of the housing then apply an additional coating of 5200 sealant to all joints so that if there are any voids the sealant would be drawn inward by the vacuum to seal them??

Thanks

Steve

Regarding opening the housing in between dives I can't really comment with any experience about the perils. However, I would suggest that some of the alternatives you've suggested might be adding more complications (read: more to go wrong) than a solution to the problem.

As far as charging the battery between dives, I would think it would be simplier to rig the whole thing up with a larger capacity battery that would last through several dives. Otherwise you would have to deal with available (or not) power sources aboard as well as the time it takes to recharge the battery (perhaps longer than the SI).

I would think you would rather deal with the downloading of the video in the comfort of your home, cabin or hotel.

Regarding using a vacuum (or pressure) to force the sealant into voids, I think that would work if you can control it. I would think you would want apply the vacuum/pressure and then release it while the sealant cures.

However, my approach is to avoid using sealants as much as possible. The only seals I want to have are two o-rings, one on each end. We'll see how that goes.

-Mark-

I use a second IR remote to control my panasonic camera. Original buttons are replaced with reed magnetic switches in the inside of the housing, triggered with some magnets from the outside :)

http://groups.msn.com/divelight/shapedhousing.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1148
http://groups.msn.com/divelight/shapedhousing.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1148

http://groups.msn.com/divelight/shapedhousing.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1256
shapedhousing.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/divelight/shapedhousing.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1257
shapedhousing.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/divelight/shapedhousing.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1258
shapedhousing.msnw

Hope it could help

Still working on my enclosure but for the latches and strikes,I found this site - Hinges and Hardware Inc. Good prices and Very nice people to deal with.
L350SS Latch and S3501SS - about $4.00 for each pair and cheap/fast shipping.
Hinges and Hardware Inc.

This is a great thread, hate to see it go dormant..Wish others would continue to post pics of their creations.

cj

If you got those for only $4.00 a pair that's about a quarter of the price I'm paying for the same latch.

Good job and thanks for the info.

I know that it's been about half a year since anyone has posted to this thread but was wondering if anyone has any new ideas for housings and any success stories?

Yup, I've had some success. I built an entirely new housing for a different camera, a Panasonic mini-DV. The new rig weighs less than half of my old one, so buoyancy was much easier to control. It's also in a MUCH smaller case, so getting through the airport, etc... should be easier, although it still looks a whole lot like a pipe bomb on an x-ray.
I'll see if I can get some pix posted to my gallery soon.

I am working on one made of sched 40 pvc for my mini dv...I did the first tub test last month and found it was +8. It was water tight in the tub overnight so my next phase includes the handles and making it closer to neutral.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom