DIY Video Housing a success...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks I intend to do so with next video. The attached thumbnail that can be enlarged shows me with camera housing making video of a baby humpback whale. will eventually put into computer format and link to video, will be on Vimeo. MK

Attachments

• IMG_5609_1.JPG
    IMG_5609_1.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 234
This has been a great thread!! I've built a sucessful housing for my Sony A55 DSLR using 6" pvc and the front union housing holding the acrylic window in place. I'm using magnetic reed switches to activate my focus and shutter. Works great! So far, just pools and the YMCA down to 7 feet, but I'm heading to the springs here in Hillsborough Co. Monday. I'm interested in using a strobe for still photos, but do not want to penetrate the housing and risk a leak. Any suggestions for using the on-camera flash to trigger a slave/strobe? I've thought to block the on camera flash with white board, place a fiber optic slave cable on the clear back housing and run it to trigger a slave/strobe. Anyone doing this?? Thanks!

If you already own a camera and like hobby stuff, building a housing is a fun and enjoyable project.

Lately, I have seen the Hero go pro camera system for $259 with housing good to 180 fsw and recording in 1080p hd video . It may make more sense for the costs and time to just buy one of these. Here is link: GoPro Videos - Our Athletes & Customers Break Records in 1080p HD this shows videos . ebay has them for sale. To see reasonably good quality on your computer, you can set it to play at 360p just to watch samples of videos.

I am considering using a couple of inexpensive 9 LED flashlights in an old housing I have to act as a decent and inexpensive video light. You could probably put 3 in a tube with screw on back and turn all three on, close it , and go diving.

In a pinch, I have taped flashlight to housing with duct tape as in this video.

YouTube - ‪Devil's Den Diving trip. This is as exciting as a cave dive but not dangerous‬‏

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom