Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2ndjetty

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just put together a little video on an underwater video tripod I made that allows you to shoot horizontally (traditional) and vertically (social media). Figured I would share here and see what you think!

Video: How to Build an Underwater Video Tripod

Nothing like a successful DIY project!

Last edited:
Link still not working However look at this:
And go to the last of this: Here I used a cutting board, cut in half for platform and locline for legs with egg sinkers for feet Also have mounted video light on platforms too. At the end, Brad picks up the tripod and curves the legs up so you have a camera bracket.

Link still not working However look at this:
And go to the last of this: Here I used a cutting board, cut in half for platform and locline for legs with egg sinkers for feet Also have mounted video light on platforms too. At the end, Brad picks up the tripod and curves the legs up so you have a camera bracket.

These are very cool! That cutting board is probably perfect for smooth glide through the water. I may have to build something similar for my Hero3+. Thanks for sharing!

Forgot to mention that you can pop open the locline legs and add smaller egg sinkers for additional ballast if needed, rattles a little :) and the cutting board lets you be creative to where you add additional stuff, like a ball for video light, maybe right behind the camera or just attach a locline leg and light mount, you are free to make what you want. It is incredible what will happen when you leave it, fish come to look at the eye. Here I am coming up and fish looking. This was before I figured out adding weights to legs, attached dive weight:

@2ndjetty

The adjustable jointed tubing has been a component of the SoCal diving world for at lease 30 years. With numerous applications--- one was even a snorkel !

I applaud you on your adaptation of jointed to an UW tripod- very slick with no apparent damage to the marine environment when used.

In the genesis of UW photography which effectively began in the US with the establishment if the LA Co UW Photographic Society (UPS) in 1957, At that time their were very UW photographers and even less items to adapt to UW usage.
One item that was adapted was the WW11 USMC surplus K Bar knife. A nut was welded on the top of the K bar- the Camera was screwed in - the knife blade jammed into the sand or rock crevices of the reef -- instant UW tripod

Later on tops side tripods with their legs cut off was adapted until the short legged tripods appeared about 25 or so years ago...Just a little UW tripod history,,,if you use the concepts in future instructional videos I would appreciate credit

Now your joined tubing has joined the tribe of top side items adapted for UW usage

@Dauntless

The wing stabilization is not a new concept to UW photography - In one form or another it has been around almost since the beginning of hand held UW photography.

The plastic cutting board is another friend of the diver with many applications that have not been discovered

In 1948-9 I was privileged to see Hans Hass movie "Under the Red Sea" several times and decided to make a shallow water rebreather - dove it 2 times and hung it up
Several years ago- probably 15 to 20 I had time on my hands so I decided to make another shallow water rebreathing thing -- I used a plastic cutting board for the base plate

Over the years I have discovered so many UW and top side adaptations for the common and reasonably priced cutting boards

I appreciate you using a cutting board as the base for your stabilization wing. As previously stated wing stabilization is not a new application -- it has been around for 50 years but the use of a cutting board is new and a exciting application.

Once again I applaud both of you for your injunity --Bravo !

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom