DIY Thumb Reel line keeper- EZ SMB deploy/stow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Naah, I use a 2$ snorkel keeper on the top right D-ring.... I'll save the shipwright, industrial tailor for my new up and coming projects.

Isn't it funny when you ask a legitimate question, it results in some deflection entirely off topic over and over and over?

Maybe the OP can design an octo holder?

Something simple, requiring velcro, shackles, clips and the services of an industrial tailor or shipwright? :D

No clip, I deleted that TOOL, remember?

The shackle supports the swivel. Anyone with half a gram of common sense knows what happens when a cord is wound without having any twist relief, that could surely result in some form of danger. Or at least a severely knotted, mangled, and unmanageable cord.

Hows that going to make your emergency any easier to manage?

I keep setting the questions up.....and the sarcasm and avoidance keeps rolling through.

No clip, I deleted that TOOL, remember?

The shackle supports the swivel. Anyone with half a gram of common sense knows what happens when a cord is wound without having any twist relief, that could surely result in some form of danger. Or at least a severely knotted, mangled, and unmanageable cord.

I am actually interested in this discussion and I don't believe I have been rude (as was accused by another, not you OneRestlessNative)

As far and the shackle and swivel, my cord doesn't seem to twist up. It is tied off to the webbing at the bottom of my SMB. I don't know if the way I reel up does not twist the line (unlikely) or if the SMB spins in the water to let the twist out (more likely).

FOR ME the bolt snap works better than my hand to wind up the cord. I am almost always doing this with thick gloves and often from considerable depth (70 to 100 ft). For the diving I do, I want to be a able to clip the boltsnap off to the reel at depth to hold that depth on a deco stop that may be a few minutes to over 30 minutes. Gripping the spool that entire time cramps up my hand, so I clip it off and rest my hand on top of the spool, line between my fingers. It is also pretty hard to switch to a deco bottle with your hands full of reel.

I have also dropped a spool. It goes all the way to the end of the line and if the line is not tied to the inside of the spool the spool keeps going. Mine was tied but it was a PITA to pull it up and rewind it all. So I do not like a spool that is not clipped off when I am not putting line on or off of it.

If these are not considerations for you, do it your way, but that is why we (the tech divers that answered up) do it the way we do.

On a serious note about the octo keepers, the snorkle keepers are great if you are donating the octo in a OOA situation. It is what I used when I did it that way, and I use snorkle keepers on my deco bottles to keep the reg where it should be.

If you get a chance to try a long hose with the octo/backup on a neckless I think you will really like it. Sounds like you are practicing skills on your dives alot and that is great, so evaluate the "long hose" configuration for yourself during an air share drill. I tried it once after diving the other way for 22 years and I love it. It makes alot of other things you may have to do while sharing much more managable. PM me if you want any non-judgemental input on what to try. I can give you a octo neckless that I used before I went to the bungied style. The rubber neckless might be nice if you are diving without a hood.

If there are other questions you think someone should address, tell me that they are and I will try to give some kind of unbias answer.

As far and the shackle and swivel, my cord doesn't seem to twist up. It is tied off to the webbing at the bottom of my SMB. I don't know if the way I reel up does not twist the line (unlikely) or if the SMB spins in the water to let the twist out (more likely).

I had the swivel laying around so I threw it on, it couldn't hurt anything. Generally as long as the line is released and retrieved in the same direction, little twist will occur, aside from current and wind induced.

FOR ME the bolt snap works better than my hand to wind up the cord. I am almost always doing this with thick gloves and often from considerable depth (70 to 100 ft). For the diving I do, I want to be a able to clip the boltsnap off to the reel at depth to hold that depth on a deco stop that may be a few minutes to over 30 minutes. Gripping the spool that entire time cramps up my hand, so I clip it off and rest my hand on top of the spool, line between my fingers. It is also pretty hard to switch to a deco bottle with your hands full of reel.

I agree, the boltsnap winding is pretty slick and I acknowledged the benefit if in heavier gloves. I am only doing brief stops so clipping off isn't a major thing for me. I still have at least 1 if not 2 extra clips on my BC if needed. Also a loop could be made, passed through the side hole, and looped over the lip to secure line. (again a warmer water task) This spool is pretty small too, maybe 9/16" wide, I am able to put my gloved thumb in the center and touch all fingertips with little effort or loss of use of that hand.

I have also dropped a spool. It goes all the way to the end of the line and if the line is not tied to the inside of the spool the spool keeps going. Mine was tied but it was a PITA to pull it up and rewind it all. So I do not like a spool that is not clipped off when I am not putting line on or off of it.

This 50' reel was packed full of line and there was no way to use the side holes and clip without stripping of about 10-15 feet. Just enough "lip" to accommodate the velcro strip. The logic behind the velcro was simplicity when hitting the surface and minimal tasks while establishing buoyancy, high seas, ect.... Or not worrying about dropping it and potentially having it unravel on me or when handed off to the boat.

On a serious note about the octo keepers, the snorkle keepers are great if you are donating the octo in a OOA situation. It is what I used when I did it that way, and I use snorkle keepers on my deco bottles to keep the reg where it should be.

This is the current way my regs are set up, shorter main, longer spare.

If you get a chance to try a long hose with the octo/backup on a neckless I think you will really like it. Sounds like you are practicing skills on your dives alot and that is great, so evaluate the "long hose" configuration for yourself during an air share drill. I tried it once after diving the other way for 22 years and I love it. It makes alot of other things you may have to do while sharing much more managable. PM me if you want any non-judgemental input on what to try. I can give you a octo neckless that I used before I went to the bungied style. The rubber neckless might be nice if you are diving without a hood.

I'm seriously interested in the long hose and necklace system. I'm currently getting a pony set up put together. After that is done I will most likely have some hoses switched out. I appreciate the offer and I will take you up on that advice should I have any questions. Thanks for the offer on the necklace, its probably just as cheap for me to buy one local than ship yours. Donate it to a local buddy in need.

My goals for this summer were to get the pony set up implemented (it is complete minus bracket), new fins (have $ set aside but still browsing), and get Rescue class done. Slow work and getting laid off a month ago has slowed the process a little. These friggin' hurricanes and tropical storms are killing my vacation! I could be beach diving pretty much every day. Oh yeah' forgot the biggest goal of all, no cigarettes 2 months and counting!! :D

Mine is made of a piece of bungee (knotted and melted at both ends) and is fastened to the octo with a plastic cable tie which had the long end trimmed off flush and melted. And best of all, it is ALL BLACK!

Mine is a true necklace octo holder and best of all, it's BRIGHT YELLOW!!!:dork2:

Back
Top Bottom