DIY Thumb Reel line keeper- EZ SMB deploy/stow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneRestlessNative

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so after much deliberating on a simple low tech method for a SMB "kit" that would be easy to deploy, retrieve, and stow. I came up with the following using the basic SMB, 50ft. thumb reel, and some other things I had laying around the house. I DID NOT want one of those "HUGE, expensive, and bulky" reels. And I couldn't simply use a any of the holes to clip into the side of thumb reel if I wanted to keep all 50ft. of line on the reel. I chose the 50ft. reel so I could deploy and do mid water safety stop on deeper dives without constantly looking at my computer. I marked the cord at the 15ft. mark with a red sharpie for visual reference for regular safety stops. When ascending I will be able to wrap the cord and secure it at the surface without having to worry about it coming unwrapped. Feel free to critique, use, or modify this design. (At your own risk, of course.)
:popcorn:

If you don't have a sewing machine any marine or auto upholstery shop should do it fairly cheap and quick.

Parts:
6 ft. SMB
Thumb reel w/50ft. line capacity
Fishing swivel (large)
Stainless D-shackle w/locking indents for keeper bar.
1/2" wide inch nylon webbing ~1ft.
1/2" wide female/soft velcro ~1ft.
1/2" wide hard/male velcro ~3in.

Fully stowed ready to dive.

D-shackle and swivel attached to webbing loop on SMB and reel cord. This could replaced with a swiveling clip if you felt the need to separate the reel for other uses. I opted for a hard connection that wouldn't possibly come "un-clipped".

Reel is stowed on SMB velcro strap ready to deploy.

Side view, stowed.

SMB velcro is released and reel is now free. Cord enters velcro/webbing "sandwich". I mated the hard and soft velcro overlapping 1inch, piercing the center with a hot clothes hanger creating a hole. I then ran the cord end through the hole with the hard velcro facing "in" (towards the reel) and the soft velcro facing "out". Next I sewed the 1/2" nylon webbing to "capture/sandwich" the cord in-between backside of the soft velcro and the webbing. NOTE, the "mated" velcro area was sewn, as well as the full length of webbing/soft velcro on both edges. Thus creating a soft velcro over-wrap with a tab of hard velcro to complete the wrap and secure. Soft velcro and webbing were pre-trimmed to make one complete wrap with ~1/2" overlap on full reel. If you do the sewing in a certain manner the cord will still slide within the envelope allowing for removal of slack in the stowed configuration. See following photos for more detail.

"Hard/hook" velcro pull tab to release cord securing nylon/velcro over-wrap.

Releasing cord wrap.

Cord wrap is now un-secured and SMB is ready to deploy.

Detail of cord coming off reel into reel "wrap" assembly.

Detail of cord exiting reel "wrap" assembly attaching to swivel/SMB.

It took me longer to write this darn thing up than it took to make it. :dork2:

Last edited:
..snip..
I marked the cord at the 15ft. mark with a red sharpie for visual reference for regular safety stops. ..snip..

Most people just put a knot in the line at the 5m/15ft depth.
Much easier to use as even with a gloved hand you can feel it in low vis.
Red sharpie marks soon fade away.

Question about the reel - is there something to prevent it from unrolling down to the bottom of the sea if you happen to let go of it?

Question about the reel - is there something to prevent it from unrolling down to the bottom of the sea if you happen to let go of it?

No, which is where the thought of the "line keeper" came into play. Once detached from the SMB. The reel is small enough for me to put my thumb through the center (line is still secure at this point), cup it in my palm, and still have full use of my hand. Now the reel is secured, the line can be released, and SMB can be inflated. I always wear gloves so the friction of the reel un-spooling around my thumb and palm wasn't a concern. When surfacing, the reel is still held tight by my thumb and line is wrapped while ascending and can be held tight at any stops. Once at the surface, the line can be re-secured easily, allowing the reel to be released and hang on the SMB webbing loop without worry that it will inadvertently un-spool.

I put one knot at 15ft and 2 knots at 30 ft. This allows me to know without a doubt which depth I am at without having to check my computer or the line since it can be checked via touch. It's a small thing but it allows me to eliminate one task while ascending. I am thinking about adding a few more knots at deeper points, but it hasnt proved necessary as of yet.

Good lesson learned. Never, ever clip a reel to you when deploying an DSMB.

Onrestlessnatives' solution is a classic example of increasing equipment complexity to solve a skill-based problem. If the OP is getting confused by a single bolt-snap, then how would adding elastic bands, velcro etc etc help reduce his confusion and stress?

Deploying DSMB using a finger reel is a very simple skill. However, like any skill, it takes practice. Here is an excellent demo video that illustrates how the skill should be performed: 5thD-X DSMB Deployment

Velcro complex???? is that why they put it on shoes instead of laces?

In that video he was actually able to use the holes in the side of the reel for the clip when full of line. If my post was read "thoroughly" it would be noted that I was not able to utilize the clip on a "FULL" reel, and I "OPTED" to utilize "ALL" 50 ft. of line on the reel.

More complex than not having it. The concept is easy to understand. If you don't need it, then it is unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom