DIY Thumb Reel line keeper- EZ SMB deploy/stow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No need to get pissy, just because I didn't see much value in your contraption.

You
were the one who decided to post it into every DSMB thread running on the board. I just added a brief critique for the benefit of readers, before they go running to their local habberdashery shops in the false belief that there is some dreadful impossibility to the storage and deployment of a DSMB using finger reel and boltsnap.

No one is pissy here.
Every DSMB thread? Try 2.....
Critiquing is constructive.... Your critiquing "wording" is somewhat degrading and implies that your way is the only correct way.

I got it over here at the LDS, Hatt's. I believe it was made by a company called Marine Sports Manufacturing but checking the website I don't see it there. Their logo is what was on the package though. There was a 50ft. and a 75ft. spool that was almost twice as wide. If I remember correctly it was 20$.

No one is pissy here.
Every DSMB thread? Try 2.....

There are only 2 currently running. That's 100%.... or, as I said, 'every'.

Critiquing is constructive.... Your critiquing "wording" is somewhat degrading and implies that your way is the only correct way.

Nope. I used the word 'unnecessary'. The 'standard' solution consists of learning the appropriate technique and using the equipment as it comes upon purchase. It takes seconds to deploy a DSMB and there is nothing to break or lose. As such...

Dive%20Rite%20Finger%20Reel%20-%20Large.jpg

Your solution involves this, plus:

A trip to the machine shop, or industrial tailors.
Fishing swivel (large)
Stainless D-shackle w/locking indents for keeper bar.
1/2" wide inch nylon webbing ~1ft.
1/2" wide female/soft velcro ~1ft.
1/2" wide hard/male velcro ~3in.

And all you have to show for it is the fact that you lose any flexibility to utilise the finger reel for any other purpose on the dive...

There are only 2 currently running. That's 100%.... or, as I said, 'every'.

Nope. I used the word 'unnecessary'. The 'standard' solution consists of learning the appropriate technique and using the equipment as it comes upon purchase. It takes seconds to deploy a DSMB and there is nothing to break or lose. As such...

Dive%20Rite%20Finger%20Reel%20-%20Large.jpg

Your solution involves this, plus:

A trip to the machine shop, or industrial tailors.
Fishing swivel (large)
Stainless D-shackle w/locking indents for keeper bar.
1/2" wide inch nylon webbing ~1ft.
1/2" wide female/soft velcro ~1ft.
1/2" wide hard/male velcro ~3in.

And all you have to show for it is the fact that you lose any flexibility to utilise the finger reel for any other purpose on the dive...

Again you fail to read the post, I clearly stated I have no other need for the reel and even gave the option otherwise. I beach dive, and drift dive. Period. Why do I need a spool? I designed what I needed and it performed as expected. Period.

Some examples...

Rescue? Upline? Nav line? Distance line?

I dive wrecks...so it's also a jump reel, short penetration line and used in a dozen other wreck procedures....

I can do those with my finger reel. You now cannot. I'd bet I can deploy a DSMB quicker too. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom