DIY tank and reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J322Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
After watching this video I feel kind of silly for spending $$$$ on scuba gear....

Gotta love it! Apparently he survived...

When I was a kid of about 11, I built my own Hookah diving rig. A massive foot type air pump, some garden hose, a rubber boat, my snorkeling gear and a brother. It worked too! My brother sat in the rubber boat pumping the pump while I breathed thru the garden hose. It worked down to about six feet and until my brother got tired of pumping.

Here's one of a diy diving helmet.

Would have dealt with co2 better using a snorkel for exhaling while inhaling through his nose.

Here's one of a diy diving helmet.

Would have dealt with co2 better using a snorkel for exhaling while inhaling through his nose.

Couldn't help but notice all the kinks in his hose. Good thing he could hear the air coming in just in case one of the kinks cut off his super-duper deluxe air supply.

This kid impressed me, assuming he made the rig. Future diver for sure...

What I read was that balanced regulators are overkill. You couldn't have started this thread a couple of weeks ago?

What I read was that balanced regulators are overkill. You couldn't have started this thread a couple of weeks ago?
I know! Sorry about that!

Luckily I found this before buying cylinders. I was thinking about steel, but now I'm shopping for polypropylene...

When I was 13 or so, I decided that it should be possible to take a garden hose down to the bottom of the pool and as long as the other end was above the water, I could breathe through the hose. After all, this was just a modified snorkel, what could possibly go wrong. On the deck, and after I had blown all the water out of the hose, I put my thumb over the hose end and took the hose to the bottom of the deep end (~10ft). Once there, I put the hose in my mouth and removed my thumb. I thought that my lungs were going to be sucked through that hose. I guess I was pretty lucky that there was no injury, other than my embarrassment. Experience, as long as it doesn't kill you, is a great teacher.

This one is pretty slick.

Back
Top Bottom