DIY soft weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I created my soft weights doing the same thing that you want to, I used heavy nylon fabric from an old bag that had a volley ball set in it.
I built 40 lbs of weights for about $60.00.
Yes, it can be done!

I used swimsuit fabric, cheap and available in many colors at any fabric shop

I know this is an old thread, but Home Depot sells heavy duty screen material made for pet owners that appears to be the same material as that used for soft weights. It's called Pet-D-Fence and I bought a roll 36"x84" for about 50% more than regular screen costs. If you have a sewing machine w/ a heavy duty needle you could make the same product sold in stores or better. The number under the bar code (SKU#?) is 11646 70587 and it was in the window screen section.

Product is made by
New York Wire
P.O. Box 866
Mt. Wolf PA 17347
Part number 70587

Has anyone tried PolyUrethaneLaminate (PUL)? It's got a plastic backing on one side that might prevent the white run-off issue, but should still be porous enough to allow any airbubbles to escape.

I have done a few (5?) dives with lead shot packed in plastic food storage vacuum pouches, and after a while air starts to leak into the bags (yes, I double sealed them). Perhaps intended to sit still in a freezer not be loaded/unloaded and otherwise moved around. Still, they don't leak "white stuff" all over, are softer, and any change in buoyancy seems minimal so far. Maybe in another 50 dives they won't be so great but so far, seems ok, just a bit bulkier than hard molded weights. Anyone else with more in-water usage out there?

BTW I think from my reloading days that virtually all lead shot sold for reloading has graphite on it (so it runs through the reloader better, but won't stop oxidation); you can buy nickel or copper plated shot for more money, or also non-lead, non-steel shot (bismuth or tungsten alloy or composites) for way more money.

Just my early experience...

Eric

I would like to know how vaccum packed lead shot works out. i may follow suit when i buy my new integrated bc. good ideas.

would you pre-package the shot? it seems to me that it would be difficult to keep the shot all contained while tryingto vaccum seal it.

Vacuum sealing it would make it fairly hard, like a block weight, but more bouyant. Not exactly the right direction to go for a SOFT WEIGHT. Why not just take a block weight and wrap it with something?

D

I made some "soft weights" with some #6 shot & our Food saver vacuum sealer .... I made tubes of various widths for each "size" I was going to make (1#, 2#, 3# & 4#'s), sealed one end, filled them with the correct amount of shot, and then added a small amount of olive oil to each (like 2 Tblsp per #).... I then sealed each inside another tube slightly larger than the first. That small amount of oil was enough to fill the voids between the shot and with the air evacuated they are still flexible (thou not as much as commercial soft weights)

I had one that had a small amount of air trapped in the inner pouch ... after one dive the air bubble is gone, but the pouch feels oily all the time (I can’t find the pinhole in the seal).... If one ruptures while diving, I figure that the olive oil will be less harmful than a petroleum based product....

One thing I could have done better was marking them. I wrote the weight of each on the inner pouch with a Sharpie.... The problem is I used black which isn’t very readable against the charcoal grey of the shot viewed thru the poly :shakehead:

All in all, they work great, and were cheap (about $1.15/Lb vs $3-5 at my LDS) ... They just aren't very pretty when laying on the ground next to my gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom