DIY soft weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just came across this thread and had to chime in.

I recently made my own soft weights with lead shot, 25#'s was about $26 at local gun shop.

And I grabbed some of my wifes old nylons (panythose).

I'd weigh out the shot (made 5# and 2# weights), the cut a length of panythose, tie a not in one end, pour in the measured shot in, then twist the hose and fold it in on itself (doubling the wall) did this 3 or 4 times for each weight.

I've been usisng the weights for 30 dives now and love them. Water runs out and they dry out quick, and they form to pouch with ease(very flexible).

I figure a $1 a pound is much better then LDS $5 a pound soft weight.

Did anyone have ideas to avoid the "leaky lead" issue other than the vaccuum sealer?

If you fill the plastic pouch with a liquid, ie mineral oil or such. There won't be any give/air pockets and thus no change in the weight at depth.

that's a really good idea with the mineral oil. The only issue would be making sure it isn't something that will slowly react with the lead (the reason water won't work to put in the pouch).

Some interesting clips about lead reactions that pertain to it leaking "white milky stuff" I plan on further exploring/experimenting with lead and various liquids to put in the pouch with my shot.

Research carried out by Donald Rimstidt and James Craig, professors of geological sciences in Virginia Tech's College of Arts and Sciences, shows that reactions between the lead metal and ions from the soil solutions deposit minerals like cerrussite (lead carbonate) and hydrocerrussite (lead hydroxycarbonate) onto the surfaces of the bullets and shot. Under normal conditions these minerals are quite insoluble. They form a coating on the metal that traps soluble lead, and this coating protects the metal from further corrosion.

Lead Bullets And Shot Corrode, But The Lead Stays Put, Virginia Tech Study Shows

Lead also forms a surface film of corrosion when exposed to the air. Because this film bonds so tightly with the underlying metal, however, it becomes a barrier to further corrosion. The types of films that form on lead include sulfate, oxides, and carbonates. Lead reacts with sulfur-bearing industrial atmospheres to produce lead sulfate, so it becomes very corrosion-resistant in industrial atmospheres and in areas subject to acid rain.

Understanding How Metals Corrode Can Help Build Better Structures

Lead is used extensively as a roofing material in the UK, particularly on historic buildings. Upon exposure to the outdoor environment lead develops a gray patina, resulting in the metal's characteristic appearance. This patina may be non-adherent, and so may result in 'run-off' staining of adjacent areas, thus spoiling the aesthetic appeal of a lead roof.

Lead corrosion

Also for anyone who is interested in this there is a thread on the Oceanic site about lead corrossion.

Dive-Oz Discussion Forums - Soft weight corrosion

nz017.jpg

Collected shot in homemade heavy denim pockets works good, lasts a long time. (Especially if you have a heavy duty sewing machine.)

I have all the materials to make sealed softweights. The cloth is 600 denier Cordura. I also use a vacume sealer. Does anyone have pouch dimensions for 2lb, 3lb, 4lb, and 5 pound?

Some interesting clips about lead reactions that pertain to it leaking "white milky stuff" I plan on further exploring/experimenting with lead and various liquids to put in the pouch with my shot.

Research carried out by Donald Rimstidt and James Craig, professors of geological sciences in Virginia Tech's College of Arts and Sciences, shows that reactions between the lead metal and ions from the soil solutions deposit minerals like cerrussite (lead carbonate) and hydrocerrussite (lead hydroxycarbonate) onto the surfaces of the bullets and shot. Under normal conditions these minerals are quite insoluble. They form a coating on the metal that traps soluble lead, and this coating protects the metal from further corrosion.

Lead Bullets And Shot Corrode, But The Lead Stays Put, Virginia Tech Study Shows

Lead also forms a surface film of corrosion when exposed to the air. Because this film bonds so tightly with the underlying metal, however, it becomes a barrier to further corrosion. The types of films that form on lead include sulfate, oxides, and carbonates. Lead reacts with sulfur-bearing industrial atmospheres to produce lead sulfate, so it becomes very corrosion-resistant in industrial atmospheres and in areas subject to acid rain.

Understanding How Metals Corrode Can Help Build Better Structures

Lead is used extensively as a roofing material in the UK, particularly on historic buildings. Upon exposure to the outdoor environment lead develops a gray patina, resulting in the metal's characteristic appearance. This patina may be non-adherent, and so may result in 'run-off' staining of adjacent areas, thus spoiling the aesthetic appeal of a lead roof.

Lead corrosion

Also for anyone who is interested in this there is a thread on the Oceanic site about lead corrossion.

Dive-Oz Discussion Forums - Soft weight corrosion

Lead shot and flashing stay in one spot and are not rubbed together in a pouch!!! The lead in a pouch will have the layer of corrosion rubbed off each dive cauesing the white stain(the sugar of lead). The best way is to get the right alloy. I work in a lab that is trying to limit corrsion in car batteries(some of which is eletrolitic(sp)). The best is the plastic bag that has some air or and oil that keeps the shot loose. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom