DIY soft weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeSteve1006

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,
So weight prices seem ridiculous to me. I'm currently trying to build my own soft weights. I purchased 25lb of lead shot from Dicks Sporting Goods (about the cost of about one 10lb pre-made weight), and i am now working on the bag. I don't have any ideas on what to use right now and you input is appreciated, but I may use the bags used for delicates in your laundry(made of a lightweight mesh), and sewing the tops together. Any ideas/criticisms/remarks are appreciated.

You don't want anything with holes big enough that the lead can get out or the material can break and release the shot. Losing your weight would be a bad thing first off, and second lead is bad for the environment.

I used a canvas material. I bought upholstery thread. You'll need a denim needle for your sewing machine as well.

I used a mesh bag with #2 shot before and 10 years later it is still going strong. Cordura nylon works good also. The stuff I used is similar to mosquito netting,

I made mine out of # 7 1/2 shot and used a thick heavy weight material to prevent the shot from falling out. The only problem with this is that a small amount of water is held in if you dont drain them well before leaing the dive site and they leak whiteish brown water until they dry. With a mesh type material the water would drain better butvwould be more likely to lose the shot. I simply put mine in a plastic container and lay them out with my wetsuit and BC to dry when i get home and i usually wring them out after the last dive before putting them up for the trip home .

I used a really heavy grade rip stop nylon, along with really heavy nylon thread. Then double sewed everything.

You don't need to worry about loosing it on a dive, once its in a BC or weight belt its fine. Its more of an issue of taking a weight out on the boat and having it bust and all these little balls go flying everywhere and people fall.

Unless the are coated, I would wrap the lead in some type of plastic before the final pouch...if you dont, and they arent coated, you will get a nice white mess that does stain if not cleaned right away :wink:

The XS scuba weights that you see are coated and leave no mess.....as was said earlier, its bad for you and the environment...So wrap it up :D

Yeah I have some sea pearls weights, which I think XS bought but I'm not sure on that.

They make the same mess that my weight do.

Hey wait, i just got an idea. what if i put the lead pellets in a plastic bag(specialty bag used to prevent freezer burn in meats) and vacuum seal it to pull out air. It would protect lead/environment, and not affect buouancy at depth, am I right?

well, then you would negate the purpose of soft weights because they wouldnt be able to move because they are"locked" together....but great idea if that doesnt bother you or you dont need the moldability of soft weights :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom