DIY Scooter / DPV Build - March 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Video on You Tube showing the Micro scooter in the water - direct comparison between the Mini and Micro Scooter's

Apologies for the quality of the video - will post an improved version when the trip has finished.

Have had it down to 63 mtrs so far but these were shot at an average depth of 38 mtrs using ambient light.

Micro Scooter - YouTube

Ta

SubSurfaceTech

Having been asked a number of times as to whether these will go into production I thought I would just post a generic reply

Where are we -

Having explored many avenues I am still not currently in a position to decide whether it will actually happen.

My largest concern is continuity, repeatablility - yes i could build these bespoke ( I do have a day job ) but I would not be able to guarantee consistency, letting people down is not an option. Buying the parts from Ebay is just not going to cut it in the spairs department long term.

Additionally for a forth coming trip in October I have designed in a retrofit OLED display showing various scooter variables -

Battery Voltage
Battery Current
Remaining Burntime

Motor Temperature
Prop RPM

Depth
Dive Time

Resettable Stopwatch function
Setup function to enable / disable various parameters ( Alarms (Leak / Volts / Temperature )) and whether to disable drive if the motor reaches the hot spot temperature etc

If anybody can think of anything else that would be useful just give me a shout.

The people that have seen the scooter always say that the website doesnt do it justice and remark on how small it is - perfect for a day boat / rib but for my personal taste it is a wee bit too small ... so -

Having sourced a larger motor the intention is to revert back to the Mini sized scooter and roll all the advantages from the previous three into that one for 2015. This will then be the beastie that i will concentrate all the effort on - hopefully a prototype will be in the water towards the end of the year.

Hope that helps.

Ta

SubSurfaceTech​

Currently blown out in the Orkneys ( Scapa Flow ) so scooter display update -

All of the above regarding the display has been completed with the exception of buttons for the resettable stopwatch ( that is being left for the rebreather display project I have been asked to participate in ) - the scooter was dived yesterday.

Functions implemented -

Depth
Dive Time
Battery Volts
Battery Current
Motor Temperature
Propshaft Speed ( RPS )

Log parameters to USB every second

Build and results can be found on the retrofit display page - SubSurfaceTech - Scooter Micro Display

The display is removeable and synchs to the scooter via an IR link, worked perfectly on the Development bench but had reservations as to what would happen in water, however I am pleased to report that it works as expected.

Additionally made changes to the batteries for the scooter by 'butchering' the 4S LiPo's and turning them into 3S reducing the voltage but maintaining capacity - pics can be found on the Scooter page - SubSurfaceTech - Scooter Micro

Ta

SubSurfaceTech

This may be of interest to constructors - finally got diving again after being blown out for 2 days so have put together a short 2 min video of the Micro Scooter in the water.

This was mainly shot to ensure the IR Display remained stable for the length of the dive.

I have popped a couple of extra video's from the Orkney trip on YouTube but this one is the one described above.

MicroScooter - YouTube

Ta

SubSurfaceTech

i am currently trying to build this scooter, i have the motor, all the plates drawn in CAD and a shed load of 2S saddle pack lipo's which i will build up into a pack. i cant find any info on the prop used, and what sort of burn time he got out of his build, does anyone know how the project ended ? or where i can get the prop for it (it looks generic)

cheers

Richie

i am currently trying to build this scooter, i have the motor, all the plates drawn in CAD and a shed load of 2S saddle pack lipo's which i will build up into a pack. i cant find any info on the prop used, and what sort of burn time he got out of his build, does anyone know how the project ended ? or where i can get the prop for it (it looks generic)

cheers

Richie

found it once i put my specs on.....

http://subsurfacetech.synergize.co/ScootMicroBOM.phpbog standard plastic prop off an electric outboard !

Back
Top Bottom