Diy Rov

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like mine better.

DSC03422.jpg

Very nice looking machine, Marchand!
Got any more pictures/details?
I'd like to know more about it.
:14:

Figured this would be as good a place as any to post this. What would be the best pitched RC airplane prop for using with a bilge pump/thruster?

It's going to depend on the motor size and the size of the unit it going on. Bilge pumps are rather high rpm so a lesser pitch might work better and not overload the motor.

Gary D.

Ok the Mayfair company make pump replacement cartridges that are just the motor and "waterproof" housing. You can then remove the factory impeller and replace with an RC airplane propadpter and propeller. Thats my tentative plan for now since with a momentary DPDT switch you can reverse polarity to the motor and therefore reverse drive direction.

Check out this website for HOW TO on DIY ROV's

Look on the left hand scroll box and ckick on HOW TO.

We actually got the most thrust out of a small plastic 3 blade RC boat prop with I think 1100 GPH pumps. I believe they gave us the most thrust because they required little torque and revved up to higher rpms.

Here is a link

I really don't think that a RC plane prop would work that well because the flow characteristics of water and air are extremely different.

Never thought of boat props i'll check that out!!

Marchand- where did you locate the boat props and what size did you use? The biggest one i could find was a 60mm (2.4 inch) just wandering if that was big enough?

This video is of the ROV-IN-A-BOX posted above they used the airplane props. I watched the video on your site, it seems that your ROV is less jerky in movments, but that might just be operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom