DIY Build an Underwater Robot ROV and remote control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I am looking to build a simple DIY kit, for underwater ROV cheaply, before I invest in a more expensive kit, just to see what constraints I am working with. I want to be able to teach this to others, so I can't buy the more expensive kits right off the bat.
I found this one:
How to build a ROV — Utah Underwater Robotics
with parts list:
UUR ROV Parts List
The Home Depot parts list does not cost a lot, for the practice. The problem is some of the parts are discontinued, so I will have to substitute then update my own parts list. I live near DIY electronics, so I have hope I can find good or even better subs.
Has anyone built ROV from scratch? I understand the kits from overseas don't keep out the water.
Comments welcome from other DIYers.

Not really DIY, just assemble, not cheap but a good source of info and thrusters

Bluerobotics.com

@Bubblesong

Define expensive? Is this for the fun of it?

For our filming project, we are looking at using this one: https://bluerobotics.com/store/rov/bluerov2/ With the add-ons, we are looking at $5K.

There is some disruptive technology being developed right now that is going to open up a lot more applications due to plummeting costs (compared to today), great capabilities, and simpler logistics. You can put the Blu ROV in the water by hand, as opposed to needing a crane and larger vessel for a submarine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom