DIY, low profile STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I finaly god fed up with the usless integrated STA in my Halcyon wing, so I decided to think up something to replace it. I didn't want a cludge from the hardware store, I wanted a real STA. So I opened up my CAD program (MS Paint!) and started jotting down a layout.

10 minutes later I had a good idea of what would be involved. So I took advantage of my mothers work having a full machine shop. Lucky me!

Laser cut, machine bent.. here are the results. It clears the t-nut by less than an 1/8th of an inch, fits on well with my homeade channel weight.. and its rock solid.

can you post the exact desighen for this? what size tanks work with your desighn? dont you have a problem with the STA turning around?

I'm very interested, as I need a very light wight STA, as I'm rather dense (litraly), and only need about 2# with an AL80 tank (12L for metric people) and a dive skin.

The picture is an AL 80. I designed it to fit an the diamiter of an 80 as close as I could. The main goal was for larger E8's, which will clear the t-nut a wee bit more. An old 72 might fit, but it would be damn close.

The STA's are on very tight and don't spin. To tighten them I finger tightened, then spun the STA into place. Took a few times to get them to tighten down in the right spot. If they slip I'll shoot some locktight in.

Pictured above is an AL80.

Things I like about it more than versions you could buy online:

- It works with my channel weight.
- Its super low profile. The tank sits closer than it did with the integrated cludge from Halcyon (now removed).
- Its wider than any I have seen, for incredible stability.
- I made it my self. :)

My design was unfortunatly lost via a HD crash, but I'll mesure STA and stick some drawings up later.

JimC once bubbled...
I finaly god fed up with the usless integrated STA in my Halcyon wing, so I decided to think up something to replace it.

How is it useless? I dive with both a weighted STA and the integrated STA depending on if I am wet or dry and I don't notice any difference between the two except my tank is further away from my head with the STA.

The bolt heads get in the way and prevent even a reasonable seating.

The thing is to narrow to provide a solid rest, even without the bolts in.

If your not carfull you can put the backplate on crooked. With the tank resting between a bolt head and one of the rods.

All in all, it just dousn't do the job very well.

JimC once bubbled...
The bolt heads get in the way and prevent even a reasonable seating.

Perhaps you have the wrong hardware or something. My bolts are actually recessed and definitely don't get in the way. I have put the backplate on slightly crooked before, though.

I've dived my single wing and backplate for about a year withouth any kind of STA. Once the cam bands are tight everything stays in place. It is possible to fit the tank crooked but it is easy to avoid. I've been meaning to a cable tie to make it impossible but it isn't a big enough issue.

Nick

I dove the integrated STA for a year too.

I might have gotten the wrong hardware, who knows. All I know is this STA is more solid and easier to use. :)

JimC once bubbled...
I might have gotten the wrong hardware, who knows. All I know is this STA is more solid and easier to use. :)

And...ultimately...that's what counts!

I also like my STA because I can easily take my wing off to rinse it rather than having to deal with the 6 lb backplate also.

nickjb once bubbled...
It is possible to fit the tank crooked but it is easy to avoid. I've been meaning to a cable tie to make it impossible but it isn't a big enough issue.

Nick

I don't have the DIY gene... houw whould you fashion a cable tie / zip tie / tie wrap thingie to "make it impossible..."

I have the integrated STA - couldn't be more pleased. Never a slippage issue, but sometimes I need to reset to get it straight, If I'm snoozin' at set up.

Enlighten me.

Thanks -

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom