DIY Gear Labels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PEDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience printing their own gear labels? What materials are you using? Are you using a specific printer?

I have no previous experience with this (obviously) but am looking for any insight that the community may have.

I'm primarily looking to create labels for tank marking (name, MOD, etc.) so nothing fancy.

RDT_20230323_1201592655885406700909155.png

But seriously. What's wrong with tape and a Sharpie for marking tank contents?

I typically take a sharpie and write Tracy on stuff.

Does anyone have experience printing their own gear labels? What materials are you using? Are you using a specific printer?

I have no previous experience with this (obviously) but am looking for any insight that the community may have.

I'm primarily looking to create labels for tank marking (name, MOD, etc.) so nothing fancy.
I'll save you the trouble. Take a Sharpie and write your name or initials on the top of the tank. This will last until you remove it.

Then, when you get your fills take blue painters tape and that sharpie and write the mod on it after analyzing. 👍🏼Though most shops will provide the tape and sharpie.

I did once use a typical label printer like the Brother P touch to make a "Do not lift" label for a first stage mounted WAI transmitter and it held up perfect until I removed it because it was a mythical risk for my diving.

I'm not sure what else you'd put a label on other than maybe lost and found tags for things like spearguns and cameras. A stamped dog tag works well for that.

Another vote for blue masking tape and a Sharpie.

White Gorilla Tape (sticks way better than Duct Tape) and the aforementioned Sharpie is good for most surfaces, including cylinder markings for Name, FO2 and MOD.

We use Brother P-Touch labels, especially for our full face masks and some "specialized" regulators, which make a line of water and UV-resistant multi-colored labels; and I have had some on masks, under some nasty conditions, for several years, without any problems . . .

Personally I hate blue masking tape as it bakes on and leaves a residue after sitting in the sun for a week between dives. Duct tape is even worse. The residue makes a mess. I found this outdoor painters tape a few years ago. It works great, peels with zero residue and is waterproof.

1679593737620.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom