DIY drysuit seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrMike

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok so my new/old latex neck seal is shot and no way I can get a replacement in time for my dives this weekend so I was planning on getting a local wetsuit manufacturer to knock me up a neoprene neck seal to replace the latex one.

Anyone have any advice on if this is even possible?

I was planning on asking them to make a 3mm thick neoprene cone some 10" tall and tappering from 11" where they fix it into the suit down to 4.5"at the 'neck end'

I was planning on asking them to glue/tape this into the drysuit with the smooth side of the neoprene on the outer surface.

Does this sound about right (they have never made a neck seal as the water here never gets below 24 degrees C)
Anything else I should consider?

DrMike:
Ok so my new/old latex neck seal is shot and no way I can get a replacement in time for my dives this weekend so I was planning on getting a local wetsuit manufacturer to knock me up a neoprene neck seal to replace the latex one.

Anyone have any advice on if this is even possible?

I was planning on asking them to make a 3mm thick neoprene cone some 10" tall and tappering from 11" where they fix it into the suit down to 4.5"at the 'neck end'

I was planning on asking them to glue/tape this into the drysuit with the smooth side of the neoprene on the outer surface.

Does this sound about right (they have never made a neck seal as the water here never gets below 24 degrees C)
Anything else I should consider?

I am far from being a drysuit expert....But, from what little I've heard, I understand that neoprene and latex attach using adhesives that are quite different. And, a neoprene seal probably typically attaches to a different material than that used for your current DS.

But, for temporary use, the only bad effect that might result is a DS flood...heh

Your water is quite warm...How about just trying a wetsuit rental for the weekend?

scubasean:
Your water is quite warm...How about just trying a wetsuit rental for the weekend?

Im not diving it locally - water temp is 37 Degrees F where Im heading! :11:

any chance of renting or borrowing a drysuit you know will work for the weekend?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom