DIY Drysuit conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyrfoster

Registered
Reaction score
I have a bit of a DIY question. It may be completely unfeasible, but I'll ask anyway.

I have a neoprene drysuit that I used to use for waterskiing. It seals at the neck, wrists, and ankles. I wonder if it is possible to purchase drysuit valves and install them in this suit to make it work for scuba diving. I know there are some drawbacks to neoprene suits, and this one fits rather snug so I wouldn't be able to wear much underwear for warmth.

Could you just give me your opinion on the feasibility of this project? Thanks.

Jeremy

You'll have to look at the zipper, which is basically the heart of the drysuit. There can be some pretty flimsy drysuit zippers on the "topside sports" drysuits. If you don't have a decent zipper to work around, it may not be worth your time.
While no true DIYer will pay full retail for anything, here are some retail prices for new valves & other parts:
swivel inflator:$115
variable exhaust, low profile: $145
valve ports (mounting bases) $18 ea
Tack on an inflator whip if you don't already have one.

Cheaper versions of the valves, [non-swivel & non-adjustable normal profile] will knock the prices down to less than half of the above, and snapping up a trashed out suit with working valves may give them up for half again.

As far as drawbacks, the biggest "offense" is suit compression. Lost bouyancy from compression is considerably LESS with a neoprene drysuit than with a same-thickness farmer john. (less material in the drysuit).
Bottom line is it's do-able.
Is it worth it? That's a question you'll have to answer. :wink:

My spousal unit loves her neoprene suit. I have let her use one of my tri-lams on a few ocassions but she really prefers her 7mm neoprene dry suit. Unless it's really cold, she does not wear anything other than a sweat shirt and sweat pant in the suit.

You should be able to find used valves on E-bay but you would be better off with new ones. I personally like si-tech valves.

Back
Top Bottom