Diy dpv

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could you let us know where you got the waterproof toggle switch? I have a Tyger Ray that uses a magnetic switch. The diver wears a glove with a magnet attached. The switch has a plastic bubble over the switch, which shattered. Would like to replace it with a no magnetic type switch.

I bought an ordinary switch with waterproof rubber cap. I filled the cap with a silicone compound, so it became harder and more save. Then I closed the switch housing with a glued shrinkable tube. The wires and contacts were filled with silicone too. It's easy to make in a few minutes and quite reliable. You can use it everywhere:

Attachments

• PA250114.jpg
    PA250114.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 649
  • PA250107.jpg
    PA250107.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 621
  • PA250108.jpg
    PA250108.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 608
  • P6150051.jpg
    P6150051.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 613
Great DIY project and results Shenzen. This was a fun thread to read through.

:banana:

shenzen , may I ask how you made head- cone ( I think which is simpliest way )

- turning from raw material should be expensive

- moulding with some epoxy ( don't have right feeling for walls thicknes and material compression and also resistance on salt water )

-......?

P.S. ( don't tell me some russian balistic missle or some airplane exposable fuel tanks from junkyard :D )

It was just a plastic bowl for salad, but I knew how to cook it:cool2:.
At first I cut a little from the top and the bottom edges.
It was very thin, very soft and very bad plastic, but when I attached the bowl edges to the DPV surface and screwed them, the bowl became rigid.

Attachments

• Plastic-Bowl-PP-Salad-Bowl.jpg
    Plastic-Bowl-PP-Salad-Bowl.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 555
  • PA250119.jpg
    PA250119.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 572
  • PA250117.jpg
    PA250117.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 545
Nice project :) The ceramic seals are used on pretty much every scooter ever made. Be careful running them out of the water since they can get ruined that way.

To help with body position you might check out one of the commercial scooter video manuals, in russian even.
http://www.dive-xtras.com/pages/support/cepdfs/manuals/ceownersmanualrussiansmall.pdf

Basically if you can get you body more horizontal and your knees up you'll draw less current and go a little faster.

With your design I'm not sure what you'll do if the motor sticks on or a huge blob of weeds gets sucked into the prop. You might think about using a fuse or circuit breaker to protect things in those cases, especially if the prop ends up completely stopped. Cheers, have fun!

Is this not risky to use under water?

What risk, exactly? Designed for underwater use, as far as electrical. Designed for underwater use, as far as mechanical. Are you referring to diving with a scooter in general or a homemade scooter specifically?

Is this not risky to use under water?
The DPV tightened by a cap (10mm acryl + 4mm aluminum) and should work up to 50 m. The plastic bowl don't tightened and used as a nose cone only. The space between cap and plastic bowl fills water for free.
streamline.jpg

Last edited:
We have changed the 18lbr motor to 24lbr, the speed increased from 1.8 km/h to 2.5 km/h (measured twice at a distance of 100 meters).
[video=youtube;sUQja708pNI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sUQja708pNI[/video]

Last edited:
...2 hight polished ceramic washers will seal your shaft up to 5-15 bar (depend on supplier).
Hi Shenzen, your thread had really inspired me, can't sleep now :wink:
could you recommend supplier for 15bar seals?

I don't know but if you have some unknown example I can test it up to 20 bar.

Back
Top Bottom