DIY DPV Motors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any Oceanic dealer can help you. The markup on parts is 100% so they have a lot of room to to discount; and if you are buying the full kit your would be crazy to pay list price - your best bet is to check around local Oceanic dealers and see if you can find one who is amused enough by the project to give you a good deal. Expect to pay about $700 for the motor, shroud and prop parts.

We have a sheet listing all the necessary Mako parts numbers and approx. prices, PM me with your email if you want a copy.

If you are building a fun scooter it makes sense to look into cheaper alternatives, but if you are trying to build a serious, expedition-class scooter along the lines of a Gavin or Submerge the savings by skimping on the motor are small enough that it probably is worth going with the Mako.

Trolling motors are not as well suited for running a DPV being lower torque/higher speed motors - the Mako motor is specially designed for the purpose, for high torque and lower speed. There have been a few trolling motors with internal reduction gearing that are more suitable but they are hard to find.

Oil filling is often used with trolling motors on DIY subs and ROVs, the secret is to fill just the motor housing not the whole unit :)

ShoalDiverSA:
I was wondering if anyone knew of a source for Oceanic Mako parts. They seem to be widely used by the makers of DPVs, yet they do not seem to be freely available. The variable pitch prop assembly, prop guard/nozzle and motor would be obvious contenders for the basis of a DIY design.

Cheers,

Andrew

do you know what rpm rate should be ok for the dpv motor?
I would like to use Bosch GPA 750 for my DIY dpv project, just don't know how much should I drop the rpm rate. This unit has about 3300 rpm.
I've seen two motor compartments on the dpvrepair.com, one of them has 750rmp and another 1000rpm - isn't that to much? what do you think?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom