diy dive light canister, less expensive option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, it's a bit steep and I don't need four... I need two, so anybody wants to make a light? I can't belive nobody wants a canister light comparable, or even better than $1500 one for 1/5 of the price... Anybody?

I have lids made by a local guy I found via Craigslist.

Attachments

• IMG_2048-1.JPG
    IMG_2048-1.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 789
Last edited:
So, DIWdiver, 350xfire, are you making lids or not? I need 2 for 3" Sched 80, delrin, PVC or polycarbonate. 3/4" - 1" thick. If you can make them I'll provide exact dimensions and drawing. PM me if you want to take it offline. Thanks!

I have everything I need as far as materials and lathe tooling to tackle the project. However, my lathe has been on backorder until about May 25th. Once it's here, I'll let everyone know. I picked up a piece of Delrin today 5' by 2.5" to try out a light design I have in mind.

So, DIWdiver, 350xfire, are you making lids or not? I need 2 for 3" Sched 80, delrin, PVC or polycarbonate. 3/4" - 1" thick. If you can make them I'll provide exact dimensions and drawing. PM me if you want to take it offline. Thanks!

I have everything I need as far as materials and lathe tooling to tackle the project. However, my lathe has been on backorder until about May 25th. Once it's here, I'll let everyone know. I picked up a piece of Delrin today 5' by 2.5" to try out a light design I have in mind.

I think I'll be able to make a delrin 3" lid for about $20-30 with threaded gland hole and switch hole.

I'm in the process of building a 'non-tech' canister dive light and one of the main challenges was finding an appropriate waterproof canister without spending an arm and a leg. I finally decided on the otterbox, in this case Otterbox 8000 series. The box comes with a neoprene gasket rated to ~100ft. Since I'm not a technical diver, I only wanted to extend the depth rating to ~200ft.
So, to beef up the gasket I laid down a layer of RTV silicone gasket on top of neoprene seal and made it flush with the edge of the lid (no excess rtv bulging from the gasket channel). Let it set for 24 hrs.
I recently tested the canister down to 175ft in 38F water. No leaks.
I realize this is a far-cry from exhaustive pressure testing, but at least it shows that it's possible to easily reinforce the otterbox gasket to withstand greater depths. By the way, the otterbox is being touted as 'crush-proof', so the only weak point is the gasket.
I'm creating this post for those that may be interested in building a low cost, non-technical canister dive light.
The next step will be to run a cable from the canister to the light head, spider light with seoul SSC P7 LED.
I'm willing to share all of the details and pictures with anyone interested in this.

NICE mod! I'm goning to start one this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom