DIY Canisters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never said Dive Rite was not in business. Salvo is not. Last I read they were opening under Leviathan and that did not happen. Didn't know about Light Monkey.
Thanks for the info.

WOW!!!Their canisters are almost $300...

Never Said they were cheap Lol. I personally wouldnt buy one from either Place I think $1,000 + for a flash Light is a little ridiculous and over Priced as great as they may Be. To me they are not worth more then 500-600 Top's especially since how much prices for HID lights have decressed. And considering That a light is the Most expensive Part of your "Essential scuba Gear"Just doesn't sound right. Not including Camera,scooters Etc.

Never Said they were cheap Lol. I personally wouldnt buy one from either Place I think $1,000 + for a flash Light is a little ridiculous and over Priced as great as they may Be. To me they are not worth more then 500-600 Top's especially since how much prices for HID lights have decressed. And considering That a light is the Most expensive Part of your "Essential scuba Gear"Just doesn't sound right. Not including Camera,scooters Etc.

Agree! The problem with the canister lights, or any light in general, is the amount of tooling that it takes to build one to look nice. Takes $1,000s to get everything you need. Additionally, every time it changes hands the price pretty much doubles (middle man). So, it may cost $300 to build, you'll sell it for $600 and it ends up on the shelves for $1000-1200. Crazy world.

My battery is a NiMH 4.5-Amp and fits into the dive rite slimline canister. Will a 21 or 24W light head work? My 700LED is not cutting it. Do you make one? Thanks!

I will make the assumption that your pack is 12 volts. If it is not, let me know.

Right now, I am almost finished with a 12W LED. I have had a few requests for 21-24W, so I am looking into it. I found a 27W Ostar that would be great, but it runs on 20.8 volts. This would require at least 6 18650 batteries. I would want to do 12 to get about a 6 hour (guess) run time. Otherwise, it will be about 3 hours. That's not bad for an Intro tech diver, but for a more advanced diver So 12 18650 batteries!!! The canister would have to be about 3" in diameter. A 3" canister is pretty big. Will you give up small canister size for brightness?

The other Ostar option would be an 18W. I think this would be more reasonable at 14 volts. This would be a 18650 pack of 8 batteries. I think this is much better as far as size. You would have two sets of 4 batteries in series and those sets paralleled together for a 14 volt pack of about 4800 mah. You could do this in about 2 3/4"... I know, 2 3/4 to 3" doesn't sound like much, but it is noticeable.

Your 12 volt 4500 mah pack is fine, but the higher wattage LED would drain it much faster. You would have to burn test it and see. Example, the SSC P7 runs at 3 amps. This means that your 4500 mah has a theoretical run time of about 1.5 hour. The DR light runs onle about 700 mah (guess) so you get a much longer run time.

It's all a give or take deal.... How big, how much, how bright and so on...?? Mainly, how big is your wallet? The 12W LED is $15... The 27 W is almost $60 plus the driver??? Also, the battery pack is going to set you back a few $100 vs. $40 for the ones I built for the P7.

Once I get my first light done, it will be easy to adapt any size LED into it. If I get a for a high power one, I'll build it and see how it turns out.

I am looking into other high powered LEDs like Luxeons. We'll see what comes up.

Thanks

I think that those people who are looking for the brighter lights know that they are going to be paying a premium. Just looking for a wickedly bright light, possibly adjustable reflector, to cut through all the murky waters and light up the darkest wrecks. My DR700 is a great light but my friends MR11 HID cuts through the murkyness like a lightsabre. Another friends 24W gives us some serious penetration and light when we need it most. We can look ahead about 5-10 feet max with ours but with the big HID's we extend that to 15-20 easily.

I may be interested in a 12W Led head to see how it measures up out here. However with the visibility in the Pacific NW being so bad at many different times of the year I think it may not have the punching power I am looking for. We have alot of suspended silt here.

Our average dive times are anywhere from 45min to 1hr45min per dive. I got 6hrs+ out of my battery.

http://www.batteryspace.com/nimhbatterypack12v4500mah50wh10x43affordiydivinglighthidhalogen.aspx
this is the battery pack they use... I believe, I'll have to double check. They are 12V.

Thanks,
John

I think that those people who are looking for the brighter lights know that they are going to be paying a premium. Just looking for a wickedly bright light, possibly adjustable reflector, to cut through all the murky waters and light up the darkest wrecks. My DR700 is a great light but my friends MR11 HID cuts through the murkyness like a lightsabre. Another friends 24W gives us some serious penetration and light when we need it most. We can look ahead about 5-10 feet max with ours but with the big HID's we extend that to 15-20 easily.

I may be interested in a 12W Led head to see how it measures up out here. However with the visibility in the Pacific NW being so bad at many different times of the year I think it may not have the punching power I am looking for. We have alot of suspended silt here.

Our average dive times are anywhere from 45min to 1hr45min per dive. I got 6hrs+ out of my battery.

NiMH Battery Pack 12V 4500mAh (50Wh 10x4/3AF ) for DIY Diving light: HID / Halogen
this is the battery pack they use... I believe, I'll have to double check. They are 12V.

Thanks,
John

Called Luxeon and they want to stuff 13 LEDs on a board for 1000 lumens. Not good for my design.

Ostar, however may have an 18W and a 27W that may work with a 14.4 volt and a 21 volt battery pack. They are putting together some info for me.
Thanks

Taken to 265' and no leaks!!!

Almost complete light...

Attachments

• IMG_0938.jpg
    IMG_0938.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0936.jpg
    IMG_0936.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0937.jpg
    IMG_0937.jpg