DIY Canisters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

350xfire

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I recently bought a lathe and have been making some canisters to sell for DIY project lights. These are full Delrin custom turned units with Agro glands, Nielsen Sessions latches and Anderson connectors for battery pack. If you have priced this stuff, you know this isn't cheap!!! They are built to hold 6- 18650 Lithium Ion batteries. The 18650 are rated at 3.7 volts and 2400mah. These can be used in series to direct drive an SSC P7 LED. I have done this on many lights without problems. You can also build a battery pack with 18650 in parallel/series config and use a driver.

Please note that Dive Rite and Salvo (no longer around) canisters will set you back $200 plus shipping. Also, it takes many hours to machine these canisters.

The canister on the right, I am selling for $75 as it is my first one and has some production mistakes that in no way hinder its performance.

The one on the left is the full production model with almost perfect features and I am selling for $100.

I also have a 6-18650 battery pack with charger that I will sell for $75.

These prices are all shipped and PayPal fees included.

Any questions feel free to ask. I will be making light heads, delrin spools and will be taking custom canister orders.

Attachments

• IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 822
  • IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 712
  • IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 656
what would you have to say to a relatively new diver who is interested in getting a better light. I don't know much about cannister lighting and might be interested in buying a complete package.

Hard to answer that question without knowing what you want to do with it or where you want to go with your diving. Give me some details as to what you expect to do. I am sure I'll be able to give you a better answer and some others will be able to chime in.

My 12W LED canister light, I expect to go for about $350-$400. I am working on the light head right now. That's for canister, battery and charger.

Here are some more pics of the finished production model. I will also include a set of Anderson connectors for the battery pack.

On the picture the connectors look like they are attached to very short wires. Rest assured they are long enough, about 3".

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_0927.jpg
    IMG_0927.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 518
Right now, the plan is to build 12W LED lights as my starter. When you talk about a 24W (Like Salvo's) you are talking about an LED and driver that costs almost $100. The P7 LED I will use are $15 eachand rated at about 700-900 lumens . If I see enough interest in it, and people are willing to pay the extra cost, sure. Salvo retailed theirs for $1200. I can probably build it and be able to sell it for $500-600 (may be).

The slimline canister is probably a bit shorter than mine, but I bet about 2" in ID. The problem may be finding a suitable battery pack to fit it that can drive a brighter LED. Do you know what size battery pack and the mah of it?

If you were to be able to make a 21w version of your light I would be interested in one.

Maybe you should think about putting up some kind of poll out there to see what your possible market would be on such a light. You might be surprised at the interest that you would get on a light of that brightness at the projected retail that you have suggested.....

Also You said that you are using LiIon cells. I might be able to help you out there. I used to be pretty heavy into RC Helicopters and was a factory rep for a scale avionics company that specialized in those types of cells. I might be able to put you in touch with someone over there maybe help keep your production cost down. They appear to be a much smaller and pack a lot more of a punch. With the heli's it was all about size vs. weight but still had to have a high output rating.

If you are interested in more information shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

Dan

I will look into the Ostar Osram LED and see what it will run. This is what Salvo used in their 24W LED. Battery pack for it should be in the $100-150 range and the LED and driver about $70-$100 (I suspect). Should not be a problem to adapt what I have for this. I will need a bit larget Delrin.

Shot you a PM...

BTW, $100 canister sold! and I will post pics of the light head progress today.

Thanks
Hector

Pics of the light head progress. Need to be threaded and machined some more to reduce weight. Still need to figure out the Goodman handle, but I know of a waterjet place that can cut some delrin. So, it will probably be a flat delrin piece with a soft elastic handle for now.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 501
DiveRite and Salvo Are both Still around and Making Lights. Salvo is under a Bussiness Name "Light Monkey"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom