DIY Canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwbrewer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all. I have pretty much decided that building my own canister lights is the way to go. I have a few questions though. I picked up a used Rechargable maglight this weekend for $5, any reason everyone seems to use the C cell ones instead of the large D cell size for a light head? Also, anyone tried doing this using an HID intended for a car headlight rather than the halogens? Are halogens just a cheaper solution? Easier to deal with?

Also, any thoughts on SLA vs NiMh for the battery pack? Weight, cost, longevity? Figured I'd get some input from those who have gone before rather than re-construct the wheel. Thanks!

Jake

Jake, I'll point you in the right direction for the answers to all of your light building questions. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hiddivelights/ and register. It's easy and you'll find a discussion on everything you asked about. A guy nicknamed PadiPro runs the group.

WD

I'd recommend you look at the following sites. The Airspeed book will save you a lot of time and trouble. The HIDDIVELIGHTS group will also be a great help as well as Padipro's group mentioned in the previous post.

http://www.airspeedpress.com/newlitebook.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hiddivelights/

You might also consider doing what I did: contact Roy on the HIDDIVELIGHTS group and purchase one of his ready made HID lightheads (about $130.00). You can see a picture of it on the home page of that group (they are black now). These are CNC milled from delrin, you add a 13 watt TrailTech $100.00 HID bulb, some wire, and your diy canister. What could be easier? Once you dive this light you'll be amazed! I made a night dive in Cozumel last April with this...it was hardly a "night" dive, though.

Anyway, if $230.00 plus $ for batteries and a DIY canister sounds too expensive you may to reconsider the whole canister light thing. Or, check out www.salvo.com.

HTH,
Dave

nwbrewer:
Hello all. I have pretty much decided that building my own canister lights is the way to go. I have a few questions though. I picked up a used Rechargable maglight this weekend for $5, any reason everyone seems to use the C cell ones instead of the large D cell size for a light head? Also, anyone tried doing this using an HID intended for a car headlight rather than the halogens? Are halogens just a cheaper solution? Easier to deal with?

Also, any thoughts on SLA vs NiMh for the battery pack? Weight, cost, longevity? Figured I'd get some input from those who have gone before rather than re-construct the wheel. Thanks!

Jake

Hey... I give you credit for tring, but when you weigh everything out, cost, time, having it work, why bother. Don't get me wrong, I lke DYI too. I don't know the type of diving you do, but you might consider the safty factor.

Just my 2 breaths.

Hay Willy thanks for the plug but that's the wrong site. Try this link DIY Dive Light.

I tried the D cell Mag-Lite first and there's no reason it wouldn't work I just liked the smaller size of the C cell handle.

SLA batteries work just fine but they are very big and bulky. I used a SLA battery for several years before I switched to a NiMH battery pack. It makes the canister much smaller but they are mure expensive.

loquat149:
Anyway, if $230.00 plus $ for batteries and a DIY canister sounds too expensive you may to reconsider the whole canister light thing. Or, check out www.salvo.com.

HTH,
Dave

Or, check out Tsud's new quick HID light just posted on HIDDIVELIGHTS...he's come up with a PVC "instant lighthead" for the TrailTech HID bulb.

Dave

Ooops, sorry about the foul link, Scott! You guys run a great discussion page there. Anyone with light/project questions should check it out.

WD

Back
Top Bottom