DIY canister light kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so what are you using for a current regulator? Batteries connected directly to LEDs is not conducive to a long life for the LEDs.

I don't remember the mention of LEDs in this thread..

Edit: I take that back, post #10

so what are you using for a current regulator? Batteries connected directly to LEDs is not conducive to a long life for the LEDs.

Bronk that's not necessarily true. Many people use single Li-ions or 3 Ni-Mh batteries to drive LED's. As long as you do a good job of matching the Vf of the LED to the battery voltage there really should not be any issues with shortened LED life. That being said, drivers are cheap, and expand the range of battery configurations you can use.

Bronk,
I am not selling any of the electronics. At this time, I am only offering what is shown in the pictures. I put the idea out to see if people would be interested in a more comprehensive kit because gathering all the parts was such a problem for me while building my light. But this would be parts only. It would be up to the buyer to assemble and install the latches, glands, etc. I will not resell the electronic parts as there is much discussion and personal opinion involved there. If the buyer of the canister wants to fit it with HID, halogen or LED that is up to him. I also hesitate to offer a modified M@G light as a head because of possible copyright infringment. It probably isn't but it's not worth the problems.

Steve

Steve,

I'm sure there is going to be an interest, but it all depends on the price of the kit. I'd go for it if the final product is somewhat 50% cheaper than the ready-made light available from the shelf. Pleasure of building it myself is a bonus!

Let's see how good the first batch is and whoever assemble it first can post pics here. Then I'm sure the interest will be higher.

I'm sure you are right Spock. I should have mine completed this weekend and will post pics. I am also trying to get a price on more pipe so I hope to have that posted this weekend as well. Feedback and trader rating wouldn't hurt either.

Steve

Steve, any timeframe on the first batch? I already ordered glands and latches. Working on the switch and cable.

I would absolutely and positively buy one of those kits. I have never looked at can lights, because the retail prices are way out of my budget, but if I could get a great light for, say, 150 or 200 bucks with all parts included, I would spring for that. Please let me know if you have any parts left at this point.

I have secured a supply of pipe so I can start a second order. It will be the same requirements as the first order. I need committments for 5 kits. They will come with the lid, o-rings adn canister. The canister this time will be sched 80 pipe and have the same OD but the ID will be slightly larger (about2 1/3 inches). This amounts to the wall being about .030 inches thinner

The new price will be $70 shipped as I wasn't able to get as good of a deal on the pipe this time. The turnaround time will be a couple of days longer because I will not buy the pipe intill I have the money in hand so it will take me a while to machine the canister.

Thanks
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom