Dixie Divers in Deerfield Groupon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And another thing !! :)
The discrepancy between the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is mind boggling.

You are correct. In fact you mentioned one. The Dive Operater who lost his divers on a recent outing of wreck diving. The divers surfaced with the op out of sight. He got them back after the divers contacted him on VHF. I guess even good ones have bad days and don't think he was even offering a groupon deal.

Thanks for comments, I know you are looking out for me dan, thanks. I will never know if I was instructed correctly, but getting to know you guys will help ( :

have a great weekend

I wouldn't hesitate to take the deal. After you are certified just get out there and dive. Experience and judgement is what makes a safe diver; not a plastic card.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the deal. After you are certified just get out there and dive. Experience and judgement is what makes a safe diver; not a plastic card.
So you think he will be safe if not taught BOUYANCY CONTROL, or any of the basic skills? You might as well just tell him to buy a fake card and dive with no real certification.

And what is your background to give advice? No real name, you have no skill level indication, or any information provided to indicate you know anything more than a non-diver might. Not that this is about you, but I for one, would like to know where you are coming from with this.

Apparently, no one who charges full price for an OW class teaches bad habits.

Instructors who don't teach properly have been around before groupon and unfortunately will be around even without groupon.

Choosing a class based on price alone is something that most people who have been diving for a while will never do. But for the person who has never done it, it's almost the only choice at times specially if they don't know anyone who dives. Heck I did it and it was cheaper than the groupon deal back in 2005. What was the catch? I had to buy my basic gear from the shop. I ended up buying my first reg and BCD from the same shop. (It's called a loss-leader)

The instructor who taught the class probably knew how much I paid for the class, but I never felt like I was rushed or that he didn't care. What I did notice was that the instructor focused more on those students who showed interest and were "getting it".

Had it not been, for the "cheap" deal I probably wouldn't be diving now and if I didn't tell you how much I paid for my OW class you would not know it was cheaper than most.

To the op, read the book, ask questions here, ask your instructor, pay attention to what he says and if something doesn't seem right ask him again until you feel confident you know what you're supposed to do an understand the purpose of it.

I now longer know who currently teaches at Dixie Divers, but I know a few who have worked there. I can tell you with all certainty that those instructors would never teach a class like you see on the videos posted. I also know the owner of Dixie Divers and can tell you that he won't teach a class like that either - I've assisted in his classes.

One of the instructors who used to teach out of Dixie Divers is the current owner of one of the most reputable shops in South Florida and he runs discounted classes too.

Enjoy, your class and welcome to Scubaboard!

Does't PADI offer 2 for 1 deals on certification from time to time? I kind of remember some friends getting that deal. What's the difference between that and groupon?

Does't PADI offer 2 for 1 deals on certification from time to time? I kind of remember some friends getting that deal. What's the difference between that and groupon?
The difference is the reality of what happens with Groupon....the concept drives huge classes that provide insufficient instruction...
The best solution I have at the moment, is shooting video of every groupon check out dive I can, and making the instructor responsible for the damage apparent in the lack of instruction.

Written 01/28/2012 about the Groupon

Groupon has been in the Advertising Business for 3 years. Dennis Buice has been a PADI dive instructor for less than one month.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser 1573
Caveat emptor

If you were a new student, and YOU were in this GROUPON class, would you know what to do? Would you know you should abort the dive and demand your money back? Would you know the wrong that was being committed against you?
Or would you just think this is what a normal open water class with new students is like?
This is Groupon, and this is why all responsible divers should take a stance against it.

[video=youtube_share;LGcGU-I2jK4]http://youtu.be/LGcGU-I2jK4?hd=1[/video]

I happen to love Groupon. I have bought dinner deals from two awesome restaurants. Shooters on the intercoastal, and 15th street fisheries on the water too. Do I think they are hurting for business. Hell no! Did they treat me differently because I had a groupon, nope!

Groupon does not pay my food server, nor will they pay the instructor directly.

This is qouted from someone who took the class there "took this last summer. Great five shop everyone was very friendly and willing to help and answer any and all questions. Definitely had a great experience except for throwing up on the side of the boat lol ( take your triptone)"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom