Diving Without BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow. That's a blast from the past. I used to dive one of those. Back then diving in good trim and neutral buoyancy was not the norm.
That is not really true:
ClearLake74.jpg

Good trim and buoyancy control while using an Aquila dry suit.

SeaRat

If some of you used to dive the old fashioned way i some questions about the technique ... in Italy they don’t teach any more the old techniques. As far as I know, people had no BCD jacket and so they had the use very little almost no weight in the belt. 3 kg being the very maximum for a man of average built. But normally much less 1 or 2 kg or no weights at all. Back then there were no neoprene suits. In order to reach the depth necessary to start the dive there was a specific movement. In Italian it’s called ‘capovolta’ more or less ‘backflip’. So the dive didn’t start in a vertical position like now. The respiration mostly wasn’t used to keep positive, it was just based on a proper movement underwater. Anyway people who used to dive where much more trained than now if not navy officers or like that. Are there people who still teach the old diving techniques in the us? Do you have any links or info on this?

Anyone happen to know where to buy an old-fashioned, plastic backpack without the harness? It needs to be hallow, not solid plastic, and available in large quantities (50-100 or so).

All the ones I've seen come with either a side-release buckle which means they probably have thinner straps, or they come with a quick-release buckle on the left shoulder and I prefer Velcro.

Oh well. Just curious, why do you want hollow? Buoyancy?

Oh well. Just curious, why do you want hollow? Buoyancy?
The hollow ones have drain holes and will actually flood as you get in the water. They were produced during a time when blow moulded plasic technology was the new latest craze. They were very cheap and fast to produce. The problem is a lot of them cracked out at the pressure points and they were not considered a long term durable product, more of a disposable item.
They were cheap enough that running down to the dive shop and grabbing another one was no big deal.
The best design made AFAIK was the Healthways model. They were contoured beautifully and had a unique side slot system that self locked the straps so no keepers were needed. I gave mine away to a buddy who works at my LDS. I plan to corrupt him into learning to dive with no BC, a modern day felony by all current training standards.

I want the option of filling it with lead shot so I'll have trim similar to what you get with a stainless steel backplate :)

My buddy did that! It's a brilliant idea.

The hollow ones have drain holes and will actually flood as you get in the water. They were produced during a time when blow moulded plasic technology was the new latest craze. They were very cheap and fast to produce. The problem is a lot of them cracked out at the pressure points and they were not considered a long term durable product, more of a disposable item.
They were cheap enough that running down to the dive shop and grabbing another one was no big deal.
The best design made AFAIK was the Healthways model. They were contoured beautifully and had a unique side slot system that self locked the straps so no keepers were needed. I gave mine away to a buddy who works at my LDS. I plan to corrupt him into learning to dive with no BC, a modern day felony by all current training standards.

I have one that was sold by Sherwood that cracked in a few places where the tank/cam band tightens down against the backplate. Unfortunately, the one at Piranha looks just like it. I have a couple of others that have held up just fine. All of my other Sherwood products have proven to be good qualilty, but I noticed that they only parts that had their name on it was the buckles. On this particular one the holes are at the bottom so you start out with some extra positive buoyancy until you get in a head-down position and the thing fills up with water. If it wasn't for the added weight idea with the lead shot then I'd much prefer one made of solid plastic.

Back
Top Bottom